Too Many Targets ;)

KD0CAC

I started detecting in the 80s mostly with dredging for gold , then left the gold country and ended up back in MN , got some more detectors with the intention of going back to northern CA - but dredging is outlawed [ bs ] and bought a bunch of detectors in the 90s and worked mostly parks & beaches walking the dog .

Had a fire about 5 yrs. ago and lost about a quarter million in tools , equipment and about 6+ detectors .

A little over a year ago , bought a Nox 800 , mostly did the FL beaches last winter , not sure if going back this winter .

But I have been mostly doing beaches here in MN since coming back from FL just at the beginning of the codvid thing .

1st problem seems to be is most of the beaches I grew up on have replaced the sand beaches [ dirty dogs ;( with grass , and have been worked over / detected , but I still find enough for fun .

2nd issue is a good one , too many targets , that includes pull-tabs & bottle caps etc. , along with lots of coins at least $1 -$2 + per hour , not including jewelry - not much of that - this is where the amount of other stuff - money & pull-tabs & bottle caps - being older 67 , my arm / shoulder can only last about 3-4 hrs. , the space between all targets is most commonly about every 3" - 6" at least 70-80% of the time / area , and many multiple targets on top of / or right next to each other - having to pickout the trash to find coins .

So finding jewelry is hard - have to dig lots of trash - to make sure I do not miss the googies .  

3rd Now this is just theory for now , need to bring a kid out with me to do , what is very hard for me [ 3 different back injuries ] digging - the theory being that lots of coins going down 6"-8" and nothing older than about late 60s / 70s , so the idea is to have a young slave [ never did get around to having kids 😉  to dig a large area , maybe at least for testing 4' - 6' square and guessing at least a foot deep + --- to find silver coins .

This should work good , because this area does not seem to have been found by other detectorist , I have never seen so many targets / coins .

Oh this is a river that in the summer there are hundreds [ really ] of boats every day , and weekends it's almost bumper-to-bumper , and all the sandy areas are crowded / over crowded , lots of islands also , so have to have my friend drop me off those with his boat - while he keeps throwing fish back 😉

Now when I get the Nox 800 even just a little figured out / use to , too many hobbies , need to take time from other things to up to speed with the Nox .

• Like 4

14 hours ago, KD0CAC said:

the space between all targets is most commonly about every 3" - 6" at least 70-80% of the time / area , and many multiple targets on top of / or right next to each other - having to pickout the trash to find coins .

That is very high trash density.  Have you tried the 6" coil?  Less ground coverage but compensated for by fewer co-located signal headaches.

• Like 1

It would be a big legal issue I'm sure , this is in a town that would take issue .

And maybe involve the feds , a good river - for federal water way .

But had the idea of one of those walk-behind tracklaying bucket / diggers and shovel into a sifting system , claim I'm cleaning the beaches , kinda like the beaches in FL .

And getting the other 2 sizes of coils for the Nox is on the list .

But with so many targets , needing to use more functions of the detector to get good enough to dig mostly good stuff / not much trash .

I thought about using my phone and making a video with sound to show how much more busy the detector is than I have ever seen or heard of .