Detectorist Finds $1 Gold Coin With XP Deus

Steve Herschbach

Hey Steve and the forum,

The XP's are great detectors.  Many are waiting for the new coil.  Some great finds with the XP popping up. Probably one of the best detectors to use in highly trashy areas.  

Congrats to the finder.  I would love to find a gold coin at some point. 

Another big factor is the weight. I have been frequenting a lot of UK forums lately. In the UK basically target id does not matter much. Valuable items can fall anywhere on the discrimination scale, often in the range U.S. hunters would call trash. All you need is the ability to hit non-ferrous items well, and the DEUS does that. The real kicker though is the weight. Post after post can be found by people who ditch heavier detectors for the DEUS because of the weight. A lot of detectorists are older and many not in the best shape. Weight really does matter, and at 2 lbs the DEUS is what a lot of these people need regardless of anything else.

Having never held the DEUS Im only guessing, but it seems to also have the advantage of being the least obvious detector to pack around in the car or truck and transport around to the various hunt locations. in the interest of being as invisible as possible and leaving no impact on the environment are casual observers less likely to be offended by someone carrying the DEUS around in a city park?

I always advise hunting urban areas as much as possible when nobody is around. It pays to stay as invisible as possible and so I hunt at oddball times or in bad weather. Having gear that does not attract attention is a good idea also. For those that want to walk or ride a bicycle to nearby locations having a machine that easily folds and fits into a day pack is also very nice.

• Like 1

Guest Paul (Ca)

The finder (Ray) from back east, also dug an 1836 Bust 1/2 dime a few years back. He had just purchased my Vista Gold and scores the Bust 1/2 dime the same week, believe that was his first career Bust Coin back then.

Was glad to see him dig up another first with the Gold dollar Coin, he deserves it great guy!

Congrats to him!

Paul

Paul

• 2 months later...

Almost two years ago my son-in-law and I were detecting at a local park. The top foot or so of the soil had been remove in preparation for some new playground equipment. I had known about the excavation occurring for some time and we were the first detectorists there and maybe the only ones to check it out. We were both using Tesoros at the time and were finding a few "v" nickles, some silver and wheat pennies. The area wasn't large and I had decided just to dig everything. I got an "iffy" signal and proceeded to dig out a chunk of dirt. The moment I saw the edge and knew it was something gold I called my son-in-law over and showed it to him before cleaning the dirt off. The first thing I saw was the Indian head face and knew it was a gold coin. Then I saw the hole drilled at the top and figured it was used on a necklace for someone. Wondering what the date was I flipped it over and saw that the person had made a love token out of it :sad:. Even though I don't know the date I can still say that I found my20151215_223014.thumb.jpg.16461a6f130c3620151215_223055.thumb.jpg.33ac8c63438291 first gold coin....

• Like 1

That's a nice find Mugsy, congrats.

• Like 1