Detectorist Finds $1 Gold Coin With XP Deus

Steve Herschbach

Goldbrick

That was a great video with the gold coins. With our high tech detectors we may have advance to the rear. I know myself I found more gold rings from detectors past than I do now. Like nugget hunting you had to dig all if you wanted to find out what it was. I don't know why but foil will sing out more than a coin would. This was in a time when it was no such thing as a pinpointer.

I'm one that believes you can't own enough detectors.

Chuck

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 9:08 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

This is something you do not see very often, a $1 gold coin found metal detecting. A lot of traditional coin hunters would pass on something like this because it gets identified more as trash (it reads as foil) than a coin. Lots of $1 gold coins were lost but few are ever found. A good example of what digging all non-ferrous targets can accomplish in the right locations. Great find, one I would be thrilled to make. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?91,2256162

I would have dug it as I seem to dig all foil!

Nice find.

LipCa

I too dig all the foil at one time. I think as I get older my legs are getting longer. I find the ground is not as near as when I was young.

Chuck

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On December 16, 2015 at 10:59 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Another big factor is the weight. I have been frequenting a lot of UK forums lately. In the UK basically target id does not matter much. Valuable items can fall anywhere on the discrimination scale, often in the range U.S. hunters would call trash. All you need is the ability to hit non-ferrous items well, and the DEUS does that. The real kicker though is the weight. Post after post can be found by people who ditch heavier detectors for the DEUS because of the weight. A lot of detectorists are older and many not in the best shape. Weight really does matter, and at 2 lbs the DEUS is what a lot of these people need regardless of anything else.

your spot on regarding the weight .its major factor when your out there  three or four hours at at a time, Deus wins hands down,for convenience  Ive had my Deus getting on for four years now.,Im at the stage where my ears are the first port of call for decisions on whether to dig or not ...Full tones gives you a good enough indication as to what the target may be,, most times.