Optioning Up A Detector

Given that the latest crop of detectors can be updated with new features simply by downloading software updates, how long will it be until manufacturers offer a cheap base model with pay as you go additional features and capabilities.  Want more tone options, prospecting ability, custom frequencies, simply pay a small fee and download to your detector.  On the same token have to ability to remove unused or unwanted features to de-clutter your detector, and with the ability to load them up again at a later date as needed.

This would give the ability for a beginner to grow with their simplified base detector, adding new features as experience is gained and as budget allows, whilst still maintaining a budget initial purchase price.  We also often talk about detectors being too overwhelming or complicated to learn for newcomers, so sometimes less is more.

The downside for manufacturers is that it would do away with multiple models of detectors, often earmarked by minimal incremental changes to justify producing a new or improved detector.  Good for the consumer, maybe not so much for profit margins. 

In a way it is already happening with detectors like the XP Deus, with constant updates to extend the lifespan of the platform, though hardly a budget detector and the updates are actually free.  Any extra costs/profits are made via accessory coils and other add-ons like pinpointers vs charging for added features alone (some new features necessitate the purchase of new accessory coils to be activated).  You do have to appreciate that the Deus's lifespan amazingly started out in 2009, proof that a single platform can last the test of time and still be relevant even today.   

Imagine a base version of an improved Simplex with added hardware/software ability to run multi-frequency and/or individual frequencies, then being able to unlock MF ability down the track as budget allows.  It is not always the case the one can afford the initial cost of a fully loaded detector out of the box, nor want to purchase multiple detectors to gain added features and performance. 

Silly idea or does it have some merit?

• Like 4

A problem software vendors (in general) had in the past with charging for upgrades is that someone would buy a copy/license and then pass it around to friends/coworkers.  Even when there was a built in limit on the number of times the software upgrade could be used, eventually someone would hack into it, removing the valuable upgrade parts and posting them on the internet.  I don't know if the software security designers were ever able to close these loopholes.

Given how often metal detector hardware and software is pirated/counterfeited now, my guess is that the manufacturers aren't keen on creating one more seemingly profitable path only to have it stolen and then need to involve lawyers and courts.

As it is now, a certain (significant) percentage of metal detector sales comes from units that hardly get used ('closet queens').  And if you're not sure which model in a particular line (e.g. Minelab Vanquish) is best for you, many will choose to get the most expensive one from the start.  Those who buy low at the beginning may end up 'upgrading' to a higher end model, effectively buying two detectors.  The manufacturers have us trained!

Bottom line opinion is that I think your idea works, just not profitably.

• Like 4

Such a paid detector upgrade capability has been here in the past ... for upgrading the first Whites prectra Vision and V3 models to the newer V3i model, as well as Fisher for upgrading various F75 models to the newer F75 v2 DST model.

Rutus on the Alter71 v.1 detector also gave the possibility to upgrade the software to the Alter71 v.2 version - which I consider to be very successful...

The idea is good only if it is mutually beneficial for both sides of the Manufacturer, as well as the user-detector ...

don't expect that every upgrade can still be free ... so it can't work indefinitely .., software and hardware development takes money..and it's not free ..

It's similar to a lifetime warranty on a product ... it can work for several years, but not endlessly .. several companies have already paid for it ..

First of all, if you want to upgrade something meaningfully ... then the hardware of the product must meet a certain technical level..and then it makes sense ..

sometimes the entry level detector does not make sense to upgrade strongly ... because technically this detector will not reach the required parameters that we would expect after the software upgrade ..

But ..We can expect this with detectors that are technically prepared for such possibilities ..

Another option is the sale of additional hardware .. - for example, the company XP is the sale of new HF coils and X35 coils .. which move the detection options further compared to the base ...
On the other hand, there is a limitation in backward compatibility with older LF coils in the lower model XP ORX detector ... which I consider a logical step.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EL NINO77 said:

Such a paid detector upgrade capability has been here in the past ... for upgrading the first Whites prectra Vision and V3 models to the newer V3i model, as well as Fisher for upgrading various F75 models to the newer F75 v2 DST model.

Yes, but these were implemented by returning the detector to the factory for the upgrade, right?  There have also been reports here of First Texas upgrading the Teknetics Omega 8000 to the 8500 for free when in for repair for other reasons.

• Like 2

Software piracy would be a big issue though the machine could be required to be logged in directly to the update server which may help but I'm sure there is always a work around for hackers to reverse engineer it.

I never understood the cost benefit of charging so much more for what most of us consider basic features for a machine between models. Doesn't it cost more to make and distribute multiple versions of the same machine with just features turned off? I assume without naming names that they are simply updating a rom between units. Then add in the confusion to the new user with too many models to choose from.

• Like 3