Hi Folks, First Post on any site,first metal detector. Reaching out to the more experienced detectorists to ask if anyone has seen or heard of problems with the Nokta Simplex +.

Last August I purchased my first detector ,a Nokta Simplex. The Battery was at 3 bars ,half charge, when taken out of the box. My job of 140 hours a week,  never allowed me to go detecting once last Summer. I put the detector in the closet . Yesterday I got it out to look it over and charge it and it still had 3 bars. I properly connected the charging cord and charged it 3 hours. It still only had 3 bars. So I turned it on and let the battery decharge until it showed no Bars and exclamation point. I hooked it back up to charge and gave it 3 hours.

To my disappointment it would not take a charge at all ! Is this Detector known to have battery problems ? The battery cannot be replaced by me, only factory. 

This was my biggest fear of an internal battery. I am thinking maybe for all its hype. It being a good dependable detector. Very dissappointed that before I even have a chance to try this exciting new hobby I am pretty negative. $300+ Dollars wasted ? 

Any help from you folks would be so appreciated.    Tim

Hi Timbens

Did you charge it up at all when you first got it?

Have you contacted the repair center about the problem your having?

The detector is a great detector for the money. What all it offers you a lot of more expensive Detectors’s don’t.

I myself have yet had battery problems but my speaker went out not to long after I got it .I talk to the repair center and they said send it in . The turn around time was great.

I suggest you contact them because that’s why you got a warranty.

The Best 

Chuck 

• Like 1

Are you using the supplied adapter and confirmed that it is actually supplying charge current?  You never mentioned how you confirmed that it was getting an appropriate charge current.  Sounds like it is not for some reason, either  a bad charging brick, bad charge cable, bad battery (unlikely because it showed 3 bars and powered up the detector) or poor connection at the headphone jack/charge port (most likely) which needs to be threaded on tight.  If everything is hooked up correctly and charging, the front panel battery icon should show the unit is charging.  BTW, not really a good idea to take lithium ion batteries to parade rest (full discharge) outside of normal usage because the subsequent high current initial charge just puts unnecessary electrical wear and tear on your battery that has a finite (though high) number of full charge discharge cycles available during its service life.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I just saw this in my similar content feed..

(consuming all the info here on this site is gonna take quite some time ,,,but I WILL catch up eventually)

So many battery types these days , it's a wonder anybody knows how to  charge them all  !

Hopefully some day the development cycle arrives at a "best of" battery ,kinda like alkalines did  many years ago.

I agree it sounds like the charger isn't outputting power.

Is it separate from the detector ?

A talk with customer support seems appropriate ...

• 1 month later...

I’d take a variable dc bench supply and see if attached to the charging input, the battery might show signs of charging with it.  Start low voltage and start increasing while looking at the current. Don’t go over .5 Amp for any long period of time.  If you leave the detector on to drain the cells, one may have dropped under 3V and refuse to charge. You then have to manually charge it the above way to get it above 3V, then switch to the charger to continue charging.  If you can’t get at the cells you may be stuck.