MDT Double O Ring Battery Door?

4 hours ago, Dancer said:

As a serious prospect these issues being discussed are very concerning.  ( Batt. caps, wires needing improved, 90 deg ph jacks, extra o-rings are some) Anything pertaining to water integerty is especially importent.    so my question is, if I ordered a Tarascci today would these matters be addressed ?    I will say the 2 water machines I own , both have plastic threads with a o-ring. only one failure and I think it was my fault.    That being said in 11 yrs theres, never had a coil or headphone breach. Im really hoping to put this machine to use on land and salt water .  But, I'll be up front I'm no engineer.

The tarsacci seems to be built like a tank.  Light weight and easy to swing buy solid.  I don't see any concerns as the way it's built now.  My machine has no speaker and the battery cap has plenty of threads with almost no way of stripping them with 2 O-rings .  Plus they said if anyone leaves battery cap loose and salt water gets inside, just rinse out with fresh water and some alcohol and let dry.  

3 hours ago, basstrackerman said:

The tarsacci seems to be built like a tank.  Light weight and easy to swing buy solid.  I don't see any concerns as the way it's built now.  My machine has no speaker and the battery cap has plenty of threads with almost no way of stripping them with 2 O-rings .  Plus they said if anyone leaves battery cap loose and salt water gets inside, just rinse out with fresh water and some alcohol and let dry.  

Thats a very good to know.      Quite a load off my mine, Basstrackerman  !

If you have lots of threads and two orings, and no speaker, that is the new version apparently. Anyone buying used should be aware that nearly all the ones out there have a speaker, and the battery cap has just barely enough turns to get a grip and hold the cap on. Be very careful not to cross thread. I'm not being critical as I have no issue with what I have, but do be aware the version basstrackerman was unknown to most of us up until very recently. It is the subject of this thread.

Here is what I have (old version, click for closeup). Mine even has a slight flattened area on one side if you look at the oring right side, so the fit there between the oring and cap is a little weak. However, there is another thin oring embedded in the cap itself, so it is a double seal. But compare to the newer version below and it is obvious which is the more robust design.

tarsacci-battery-door.jpg

and here is the new version (screen shot so blurry, sorry). Coarser metal threads, way deeper reach, and two beefy orings. Again, no complaints here but if waterproof integrity is a big deal this is important. Plus, we have no official word on whether or not this is the new version, or something made to order?

tarsacci-battery-door-modification-2.jpg

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If you have lots of threads and two orings, and no speaker, that is the new version apparently. Anyone buying used should be aware that nearly all the ones out there have a speaker, and the battery cap has just barely enough turns to get a grip and hold the cap on. Be very careful not to cross thread. I'm not being critical as I have no issue with what I have, but do be aware the version basstrackerman was unknown to most of us up until very recently. It is the subject of this thread.

Here is what I have (old version, click for closeup). Mine even has a slight flattened area on one side if you look at the oring right side, so the fit there between the oring and cap is a little weak. However, there is another thin oring embedded in the cap itself, so it is a double seal. But compare to the newer version below and it is obvious which is the more robust design.

tarsacci-battery-door.jpg

and here is the new version (screen shot so blurry, sorry). Coarser metal threads, way deeper reach, and two beefy orings. Again, no complaints here but if waterproof integrity is a big deal this is important. Plus, we have no official word on whether or not this is the new version, or something made to order?

tarsacci-battery-door-modification-2.jpg

Mine is the thinner O-rings.  I get 1.5 turns on cap once catches a thread to stay, til tight.  It feels tight.  I'd rather have the cap with 2 much thicker O-rings.  

Demitar is uses international interpretation of the IP..... which primarily is for the connectors.  That box is sealed up pretty good.   I have no problem with the OLD style..... but i like that hes even making more improvements to where he feels comfortable giving it a FULL waterproof rating.   Dang good engineer who doesnt like machines that are always in the shop.   Ive had salt water in my battery box early on.... wiped it out spayed some anti corrosive in it and all good.   Had it a couple of years..... NO CORROSION in that battery area.   

• Like 2