I don't have time to do a full 'review' of this article but it seems like a good line of research for more information.

https://engineering.tamu.edu/news/2020/12/researcher-develops-formulas-to-predict-coastal-sediment-movement.html?_ga=2.180835809.799634648.1607892375-990692193.1607892375 

• Like 3

Not much information other then he developed a method. Does not share it. And really there is no set way of predicting as far as I am concerned, I've seen patterns but I'm Amazed at how each and every spot can vary. Just my opinion, for a metal detectorist...get out and recon, hunt, experience first hand..do what every it takes... is the only way. 

You find a good spot.. Don't share with anyone unless you want the world to know.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

.... And really there is no set way of predicting as far as I am concerned, I've seen patterns but I'm Amazed at how each and every spot can vary....

I have been fascinated with beach erosion hunting since 1980.   And perpetually trying to figure out when and where the beaches will erode.   By factoring in the surfer/mariner reports of swells, waves, on-shore winds & tide heights.   And the coinciding timing of all the ingredients.

In this modern age of computers, I have often thought that there MUST be a way to computerize it all into methods that can predict.  But I tend to agree with you that mother nature just has a mind of her own at times 😞

• Like 3

Yes Joe, you are right.  Many places in the world were known as 'ship wreck' beaches for many beachcombers in the past.  They would keep these places to themselves and go back every few years and collect some bounty.  Then they put some of them on maps.  That made them less bountiful!

When I grew up in North Florida there were just places like that.  When metal detecting came along the accumulated heavies were detected in the same places where some had been sifting for years.

I watch the wave energy in the surf reports and a couple of other factors and find some beaches that light up.  We also get El Nino here and that was certainly a good summer.  I wish I had a Nox then.  We are in La Nina now and it can be weeks between good beaches.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Not much information other then he developed a method. Does not share it.

From the article Mitchel linked:

When Ashwin Gadgil, a doctoral candidate...

and later there:

“Like my advisor, Dr. Sweetman often says: science, for the sake of science, can be interesting, but if it's not applicable, then it's never going to be used,” said Gadgil. “So, you want it to be interesting and new, but you also want it to be applicable to real-life scenarios and to make a meaningful difference. That, in my opinion, really is what makes a good Ph.D. thesis.”

Putting those two things together it sounds as though he will be 'sharing' his findings when he publishes his dissertation/thesis.  As to whether his software becomes available to the public, though, that's quite a different issue.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By schoolofhardNox
      So I'm still trying to milk the same cow 😄 I figured until it stops spitting silver on me, I will continue to ask for it. Long day at the beach 8:30-5:00, but the weather was decent, as I dress well for the cold. I'm getting to be a delicate flower in my advancing years 🤔 I'm using the GPX all day for this hunt and digging select areas and removing all iron so I can hear the deep targets.I hit a patch that started producing exclusively wheat pennies, so I knew that the chance for silver was very possible.  It did produce some silver but the ratio was mostly pennies. Moving over just a bit, the wheats turned into memorials and the clad followed as well. Not a bad day with 8 silvers, but I worked harder than usual for it.The beach is slowly sanding in and the easy stuff is gone. No gold again, but switching the timings on the GPX did start getting me a lot of nickels, including a handful of Buffalo. Jewelry was missing as usual, but the spoons sure weren't lacking 🙄 So here is everything I dug. Lots of junk too. It was great to get out and enjoy the hobby.

• By Rivers rat
      Hello to all ,went to a secluded beach today,just to make sure i knew how to detect again it wasnt warm but sunny,and my fishing jacket kept me nice and toasty.As i got the luxury to have 3 times more digging tools than arms,i choose a spade for a change over a scoop.A cheap spade i bought on a road trip a while back when my old one broke and i just fitted a new shaft which i oiled with linseed oil 3 times.Anyway a lot of walking and gridding,the nox is my to go machine when i am back after a while especially with those long lockdown period.

Lots of coast fight remains as you can tell fro the pictures a nice brass cross alas.......and a 1919 coin were the oldest find.

Funny enough the cross bare the name of Saint Anthony of Padua ,which is the saint to pray to when something is lost......................well i found it.

Will try to go out tomorrow,to see if i can find more bullets

Enjoy

RR

• By cuniagau
      We out a couple of days ago and as usual found something strange.  I believe it is a "replica" or "counterfeit" Draped Bust Silver Dollar.  When it came out of the surf it was just a rusty disc.  I was going to just toss it but my ole hunting buddy talked me into cleaning it up a bit out of curiosity.  It is the same diameter as a silver dollar.  It only weighs 12.6 grams.  It does have a reeded edge.  I could make out part of UNITED STATES  but the font was larger than a regular silver dollar.  It appeared to have a shield with eagle wings on the reverse.  I could make out a lady facing to the right.  And 17?? for the date.  Attached are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.  Note: not sure why the pictures are upside down and sideway.   

• By kac
      Only found a sinker and some clad but was able to snag this nice shot as the tide was going out. Rare to see this area without wind and figured I would share.

• By Glenn in CO
      100% AUTHENTIC Santa Monica METAL DETECTING find CUBE #2 Oct 20 Pandemic Signed