This long article details a possible treasure on the Oregon coast.

https://magazine.atavist.com/the-ghost-hunter-galleon-shipwreck-oregon-goonies-philippines 

• Like 3

I could only get a few pages into it, until I began to throw up.   It's a typical ghost story camp-fire legend. I can spin the very-same-stuff about beaches in my area of Monterey CA.  Eg.:  wax globs on the beach, crockery shards that (gasp) show up after storm erosion, etc....   And like any good treasure story yarn, there's always the curses, mysterious disappearances of persons, "he said she said".  Shadowy government conspirators, blah blah blah.  I couldn't take one more bit of it.   All the same hallmarks as the Oak Island and Lost Dutchman sillyness.

Besides :  The Manila galleons (even if any DID make landfall on the coast that far north) were NOT laden with silver & gold ("treasures", as the fanciful tale goes).  Instead, it was trade goods.  Eg.:  Wax, porcelain, mercury, spices, silk, etc......    The silver & gold they would have carried , from the mother country of Mexico, would have been traded for trade-goods in the Philippines, BEFORE setting sail back to Mexico.   Good luck on getting ANY value out of any of those goods.   This is NOTHING like the Atocha lore type "treasure", despite where the tone-of-the-article is clearly trying to send the reader.   

Sorry to be a kill-joy, but I'm not buying any of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mn90403 the whole article is there but a few pages in had to hit the X on an add. to continue. It looks like a bit of a read but don't have time at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

Tom,

You got me at Oak Island!

Thanks for the review.

Mitchel

Sometimes it requires reading more than the first few paragraphs (in this case, a prologue) to understand what a piece of writing is really about.  This main body of this article is about an eccentric researcher who wasn't after tangible treasure (i.e. the kind we seek) but rather searching for information on the sailors who were cast ashore so she could write an epic poem about them.  (I don't even remember tales of gold bounty in this article -- just shows how captivating the story of the research was to me.)

The lengths she went to in search of information on the ship and its crew is pretty impressive.  I suspect it's this kind of dedication that the most ardent (and successful) sunken treasure searchers of today share.  She uses some of the same resources that they do.

Here is a brief synopsis of what is thought to be the ship that wrecked.  (Some of the documentation mentioned in the Wikipedia article are directly from the work of the woman in the article Mitchel linked.)  Interesting that there was a recorded/documented earthquake and tsunami in the year 1700 (~5 years after the shipwreck is hypothesized to have occurred) which is thought to have resulted in the beeswax from the ships cargo making it high up on the Oregon shore.

Thanks, Mitchel, and you've reminded me that I have a book on my shelf chronicalling the history, research, and eventual recovery of the SS Central America's San Francisco shipment including the now famous gold coins.  (This book was mentioned in a post by Steve H. several years ago.)  Good cold weather bedtime reading awaits!

• Like 2

Geez Tom ya had to go throw logic into it and ruin it for everyone :(

1 hour ago, kac said:

Geez Tom ya had to... ruin it for everyone 😞

Not everyone.  Geof and I delved into it and came out the other end with an appreciation for the work involved (research into the ship, and at least in my case, the effort involved in chronicling that deep 'dive').

• Like 2

The research involved is good but I have my doubts on the treasure chest being dragged off somewheres bit.

Be nice if they showed some images of the wreck or samples of evidence. Without that it's just a cool story.

20 minutes ago, kac said:

...I have my doubts on the treasure chest...

It's unfortunate that some authors (including this one) and TV show promoters feel they have to sensationalize to gain audience.  The prologue (~5% of the article) highlights the belief (most overvalued word in the English language) of some treasure searchers.  Besides drawing in fringe (in terms of knowledge, interest, and particularly veracity concern, i.e. the lack of it) audience it provides fodder for dissers who already believe it can't be true and now have justified that belief.  A classic example is the use of 'curse' on about every major possible large treasure.  Who needs 'curse'? -- the people who no longer read fiction because there are stories based on fact that provide the same titillation in an easier medium.  But it requires sensationalism to draw them in, and thus the rest of us with sincere interest in finding truth are 'cursed' by this new curse.  (Actually, it's not the modern media that invented this ploy.  Just read the old hardcopy treasure magazines from the 1960's --> their recent disappearance.  I guess it's deep-seated.)

If we recognize it for what it is and look past it, we have a better chance of sorting out evidence from belief.

It's kinda like crime investigation.  The detectives get hundreds of 'clues' from the public in high profile cases, most of which are at best unrelated but at worst maliciously fabricated.  They don't just throw their hands up and say "with all this misinformation the crime never happened."  Sorting through reports, etc. to find meaningful evidence is their duty.  In the story Mitchel linked in the initial post of this thread, if you read past the stories of the treasure seekers' beliefs and get to the recounting of the research part, you will have earned a view of the evidence.  Disagreeing with that is still an option, though, but at least you've sorted out the (potential) wheat from the obvious chaff.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By mn90403
      The other day I was detecting on of the many beaches in Santa Monica Bay.  Just like all other beaches of the world there are some unique features about it that we all learn.  I was thinking about how much sand has been added since a swell event I detected about 6 months ago.  I can see where that cut was and I see where the new beach line is and it is 25-30 feet in many places.  Our wave pattern with the La Nina has sanded things in.  We have earthquakes which raise our plate.  How about your beaches from the old days?
      Before I started metal detecting I was a surfer.  Many natural breaks have been there for years.  I'm sure some are gone.  Has 'climate change' changed your surfing spots?  I know some beaches in Florida have had sand added for replenishment.  I just read articles about North Carolina and salt intrusion killing coastal forests.  They showed before and after photos.
      Do you have any old detecting photos that would show your beaches 20, 30 or 40 years ago?
    • By Jzconcepts
      Hello, my father lives in SW Utah and I would love to take him nugget shooting somewhere. He is 100% disabled from Vietnam and he can use the shovel as a cane for a while and I am usually his “digger” and pinpointer guy 🙂
      So I was hoping for some info on where I he and I could go nugget hunting, with my Orx in either Az or southern Utah, Nv.
      So we can plan a trip together (researching and reading will give him something to do) 🙂
      He doesn’t have many years left where he can even get around on his own, so any input would be great, thanks in advance
    • By schoolofhardNox
      So, I decided to try another beach to see if the conditions were the same to find silver. I spent about 2 hours there before I could not stand it anymore.  For such an affluent town, the have the dirtiest beach I have ever detected on. The amount of junk targets and iron were overwhelming. I could not swing without hitting multiple targets. I got a bit of clad, and an 8-gauge shotgun shell casing, so I flew out of there.  🙄 The drive back to my favorite beach was now the goal to save the day. I wandered around for a bit with no luck, so back to the same area where I did good before. I expanded out a bit and the silvers turned to clad. Lots of dimes as expected, as they are hardest to find deep. Found a decent amount of silver. I did not take pictures of the trash, but here are all the good finds from that beach. My beach days are numbered, as the crowds are already starting to show up well in advance of Memorial Day opening. I may try another new beach next week for a bit and see what happens. Weather was beautiful…. The people ?  -  a bit strange. 😵

• By rvpopeye
      Well kinda (but that's another story)
        1 clad dime and 3 memorial pennies , a fishing sinker , an unfired 22  pellet rifle round . 2 1/2 pull tabs and a bunch of tinfoil balls one of which looked like it was turning back to aluminum ore! ( or maybe it was just BBQ sauce ?) and a few odd pieces of iron I haven't washed off yet????? About 3 hours in park1 sens 22 , f2=0  disc = off., the 6" coil on the fully updated 800  Swinging in an old campground (it was root city) I watched being built 60 years ago when I was a little kid 200 yards across the cove through mom's binoculars cuz I was too young to row that far ......somewhere in the wilderness that is the southern Maine coast..I was surrounded by old growth white pine that were protected by the King of England for ship's masts for exclusive use of the Royal Navy....My fave site 30' straight up a cliff from the water ,,,and only covered 1/10th of it. ,    (It's overlooking "my rock" , where I've been fishing for striped bass since I was 2. It was low tide 2 clam diggahs on the flats , one arrived by boat.........) It was sunny  On shore  S. <5kts  62*  No pics..  I am unworthy. UH AYUH yup yup  
    • By KellycoDetectors
      When metal detecting, whether you are gold prospecting, relic hunting, or water hunting; it is easy to get discouraged. However, it’s important to know that you can better your results in metal detecting if you explore some of these best practices. I prefer to call it Smart Hunting!
      Find a Metal Detecting Location with Google Earth
      Use Google Earth to search your local area for new potential spots. Start off by branching out from where you live. Sometimes there are fields hidden in woods that you can’t see from a major street or road. Keep your eye out for clear stretches of land. You should be able to see the difference between a forest and a field.
      Organize Your Metal Detecting Leads
      If you see something that piques your interest, drop a pin. You can also make separate folders to organize your leads. Just make sure your privacy settings are enabled! You do not want to share your new potential locations right away!
      You can grab the Latitude and Longitude aka coordinates, from Google Maps. Make sure you have this information copied or saved in a separate area, as you will need it.
      Use Historical Aerials
      You may now use Historical Aerials to “peel back time” for your respective area. This website gives you access to many historical aerial photos that may help you refine the area you want to detect in.
      This is great if you are looking for things like old trails and swimming holes.
      If you are looking for old relics and coins then it may be best to look at an atlas for that area. For example, in NJ you can find free Atlases online that date back to the 1800s. All you have to do is search on google. Depending on the atlas you look at it may even show you old homesites, which is a fantastic clue.
      An example of a really great website for atlases is Historic Map Works.
      Research the Property Owner and Ask For Permission
      Once you have found your “prime” location, the next action is to obtain the permission of that area. It is important to always have the permission of the area in which you are detecting and most importantly, never to trespass.
      But, how does one find out who owns that property? Well, there are many ways to obtain information. For now, we will focus on the Smart Hunting aspect.
      There are tools online for each state in the US that allow you to pull up public tax assessment information. Remember when we said save your coordinates? Use the information discovered to build your strategy as you will be given contact information to aid you in your journey to permission.
      If the location in which you are Smart Hunting turns out to be a business, find the website to the company. Try to locate a “contact us” page to strengthen your efforts in getting the permission you are seeking. You may also attempt to create a “Waiver of Liability,” as businesses want to ensure you are not an insurance risk. Do not get discouraged if you get a no. I always try to play the “No” game. And that is how many “No’s” can you get before you get a yes. You will be surprised with your outcome!
      Sometimes if the property is owned by a private resident it will show their contact information. Again, I want to clarify that this is public information. You may choose to find them on social media or send them a well thought out handwritten letter. Why? Because people need to write more handwritten letters. You also have the option to show up at their home. If it is a farm, sometimes this works out as they often have farm stands. Go grab some juicy vegetables and talk yourself into some permission. Need some exercise? Maybe lend a helping hand on the farm! You never know of the doors that will open through the power of positivity.
      If you manage to gain permission, you now have your opportunity to put the Smart Hunting you did to work.
      You have now become a Detective Detectorist!
      Smart Hunting: Metal Detecting With Technology originally appeared on kellyco.com
    • By F350Platinum
      Getting ready to hit the beach this morning. Bringing a CooB scoop today and I had a thought - how far out do ya go? Is there a certain depth that is better than another?
      Don't want to "get in over my head" here 😀