Orx As Jewelry Hunting Machine?

relicmeister

The ORX can be adjusted in its coin modes to be 2 tones by lowering the moveable iron tone breakpoint or by turning off iron audio. So, technically it has two tone operation but its not like you just push a button once and you are in two tones. 

In the gold modes you can mimic a two tone mode by using a little iron amplitude rejection and turning iron audio on. 

With the Deus and the ORX, these kinds of adjustments are awkward but doable after some practice.

• Like 3

On 12/16/2020 at 4:13 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

One reason I sold my ORX and stuck with the Deus was because of my inability to handle the constant mid tone audio barrage when hunting in modern aluminum trash. The ORX as it is presently produced does not give a gold jewelry hunter any advantages for audio discrimination between junk aluminum and possible gold targets. It doesn't do that much for US nickel hunting either depending on target depth and ground conditions. The Deus at least has full tones which can give slightly different audio quality and pitch for various low to mid conductors with overlapping numerical IDs especially gold jewelry which usually sounds very distinctive on the Deus. I did not find that to be the case with the ORX.

Using the ORX for coin, jewelry and relic hunting in less aluminum filled areas is okay and for gold prospecting the ORX is right up there at the top of my list.

Well I can always use full tones with WS-4 headphones using the Orx as a Deus Lite. No target ID’s so all audio in this case. I have two Equinox 600’s, one foldable that’s fitted with 11” coil, and the other is 6” coil on Steve H’s CF monopole telescoping shaft. These are probably more suitable for hunting
bling-jing than the Orx At least in areas with modern trash. 

Interesting topic,for the most part after doing tests on various size gold jewellery and small gold coins the Deus with the HF elliptical coil for gold coins like full staters the 30khz is ample for these size coins and also at reasonable depth as well.The settings that i personally use are the Hot programme XY screen and and either 30khz or 80khz for when i am after really small gold either coins or jewellery,small coins like 1/4 gold staters they will get smacked but of course the smaller the gold item and the worse case scenario gold chains then unless they have say a clasp or something else solid attached to the chain they start getting very hard to nail.

Small gold solid items are generally easy to locate its the small fine chains that are the elusive ones and almost all detectors will struggle finding these items although some are slightly better than other,a few that stand out in my detecting arsenal are the Nox c/w 6'' coil,TDI Pro with either the 7.5'' DF coil or my 10x5 Miner John folded mono and possibly my deadliest combination is my Mirage pulse with the 5'' Mono coil that was designed by Sven in Canada as that does have fine gold timing on and although possibly not the deepest option it certainly does not miss much even small chains.

As a general rule i am not into dedicated small gold jewellery hunting,but i can only highlight what works for me over the years and the equipment that i own and use or in some cases have found out just by doing some tests when unable to get out etc.One machine i will also add into the equation although i would not consider it to be a suitable candidate as a gold machine but my DFX with the 10x6 coil has found me a fair amount of gold items albeit they are not extremely small but it does have that certain something that the machine loves gold mainly gold coins.

• Like 3

Once I got may hands on an ORX nearly two years ago, I realized that it was flawed but a much better setup than a Deus lite because of the information on the screen.  At that time I had three must have wish list items that would make it a completely suitable replacement for the Deus - 1) A pitch tones mode, 2) A full tones mode, and 3) GB Tracking.  Having the ability to navigate programs with +/- buttons like on the Deus, having a few more custom program slots and being able to independently adjust the silencer were additional desirable but lower priority wishlist items.  After several outings with ORX, I like the ground grab feature implementation (much better than the Deus implementation) which effectively eliminates the need for GB tracking.  If Orx simply had the option to go to full or pitch tones in the coins modes, it would be a Deus killer.  Of course, XP will probably never implement those upgrades...because it would make Orx a Deus killer.  

Bottom line, i agree with Jeff, the lack of an ability to reall differentiate keeper gold targets from aluminum because of the lack of full tone audio nuances makes the Orx only a serviceable jewelry hunter.  It can get the job done, but in a really trashy aluminum filled park, the task is made a lot more difficult because of the lack of full tones.

• Like 2