Hello Everyone! Back In The Game!

keithsw

Hello all, Floridian here. I detected for years and got away from the hobby for awhile. Work, 5 kids, and numerous other priorities will sometimes do that to us!  I need a new machine and used to always use Minelab. I was looking at the Eqiunox 600? I don't know a thing about the machine except what I read and hoping to get some input from you guys! Once again, HELLO! and looking forward to hearing from Y'all

• Like 4

Welcome back Keith! About 10 years ago I was in a similar situation- returning to the hobby after a bit of a break. Technology has really changed the hobby and the Equinox is a good all-around detector. I opted for the 800 because of the additional "gold" modes. I don't do any prospecting but use the gold modes in freshwater for optimum depth and sensitivity to small gold jewelry. At the beach I prefer pulse detectors but others love their Nox's at the beach.

• Like 3

Keith, Should you be able to get the 800 it is well worth it because of the gold mode of it.

You will find out that there is more to the 800 than a simple upgrade, and that it will do more for you in Florida.

Sometimes you can pick up a good used unit with warranty still on it in the classifieds here.

Glad your back and WELCOME to the forum.

• Like 1

Hey Keith,

Welcome to the forum, and Hello from S. Florida! One of my main detectors is the Equinox 800! I'm minutes from the beach, so that is my "go to" there! The ML Vanquish line is also extremely competent at a lower price point, and can be passed to one of your kids, when you are ready to move up! Or used as a backup! I highly recommend both! 

Let us know what part of Florida you hale from, and make sure to read Steve's detector reviews for more choices!

Also, don't forget to factor in a long handle scoop for the beach, a digging tool for inland areas (see Kac's *forum member* Devil's Tongue Digger in classifieds at bottom of page) and a pinpointer, and finds pouch!

Let us know how you make out! And if you have questions, ask away!👍👍

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

Hey Keith,

Welcome to the forum, and Hello from S. Florida! One of my main detectors is the Equinox 800! I'm minutes from the beach, so that is my "go to" there! The ML Vanquish line is also extremely competent at a lower price point, and can be passed to one of your kids, when you are ready to move up! Or used as a backup! I highly recommend both! 

Let us know what part of Florida you hale from, and make sure to read Steve's detector reviews for more choices!

Also, don't forget to factor in a long handle scoop for the beach, a digging tool for inland areas (see Kac's *forum member* Devil's Tongue Digger in classifieds at bottom of page) and a pinpointer, and finds pouch!

Let us know how you make out! And if you have questions, ask away!👍👍

Hey Joe! Thank you to you guys for the welcome. I live in the Fort Myers area and we have a summer home in Western North Carolina. I will detect up there when we head north. I think I would like to get a small shovel of some type. Any recommendations?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keithsw said:

...We have a summer home in Western North Carolina. I will detect up there when we head north. I think I would like to get a small shovel of some type. Any recommendations?

Welcome, Keith!  If you like well-performing tools that last a lifetime, here is my suggestion for turf (not for beach sand):

https://www.predatortools.com/collections/shovels/products/model-60-vulcan-shovel

• Like 2

I second GB's shovel suggestion! Great tools!

Just remember that a shovel may look too invasive in some places that you may detect! Park and school employees can get a little hinky, if they think you are digging up the place! We all get blamed for that "one" guy that neglected to fill his holes, or killed the turf!👍👍

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Joe D. said:

The ML Vanquish line is also extremely competent at a lower price point, and can be passed to one of your kids,

keithsw, just remember that those are not waterproof, only the Equinox is supposed to be waterproof.

So if you want to take it into the water don't get it wet.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Just remember that a shovel may look too invasive in some places that you may detect! Park and school employees can get a little hinky, if they think you are digging up the place!

Yes, I should have said that.  But I'll go one further -- don't use a tool like this in a publicly (government) owned site, ever.  It's for farm fields, wood&forests, and other private property where you know (because you've gotten the OK from the landowner) that it's allowed.  Even if a park superintendant were to give the OK I wouldn't use it as it will negatively excite someone eventually -- just not worth it.

Even hand diggers (one handed garden tool) are a bad idea in some parks.  There is a lot written on this site of recvovery methods.  Here's a good one:

• Like 3