Hello, Hello!

ch1gz

Hi everyone,

I'm Charlie from London. New to the prospecting game. Hoping to meet some awesome people on this forum!

I was having a little trouble setting up my detector. I've got it lying flat on a table as the setup instructions suggest to do some initial testing. When in pinpoint mode it appears I am able to set it off with parts of my body. I don't have any metallic items on me. Is this normal? Is it possible for a metal detector to be set off by a person or is there something wrong with my detector?

Cheers

9 hours ago, ch1gz said:

I'm Charlie from London.

Welcome Charlie,

What type of detector do you have? That is the first thing we need to know as there are many types of detectors out there.

I might be able to help you if it is the same as mine, if not I will let you know where to post your question for better help.

Good luck!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Welcome Charlie,

What type of detector do you have? That is the first thing we need to know as there are many types of detectors out there.

I might be able to help you if it is the same as mine, if not I will let you know where to post your question for better help.

Good luck!

Hi,

It's just a basic one I got from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NTZTMBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to pick up coins, nails etc well enough but it also goes off with the thing pointed at my chest! I made sure not to have any metallic items on my person. Does that indicate a possible problem with the detector?

Thanks

Charlie

Your body conducts electricity and as a conductive item your body can cause a detector to signal. The most sensitive detectors will pick up your empty hand waved under the coil. The detector you linked to appears to be a no name clone however, and it is impossible for me to say what is normal or not for a detector like that. But for now I'd say it sounds normal.

• Like 3

Since I have never heard of that brand, I would have to agree with Steve H. on this as he is the expert on more detectors than 3 leaf clovers on a hillside.

Most detectors will do the same thing that you describe and I have read many times that it is normal for most of them.

As long as it detects items in the ground well I really wouldn't worry to much about it.

Since looking at the unit from the link you provided I also have to say it is some kind of knockoff, so be careful with the warranty on it.

You get what you pay for and not any more than that.

Good luck on your hunts and share some photos on your finds.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

, I would have to agree with Steve H. on this as he is the expert on more detectors than 3 leaf clovers on a hillside.

I like it Caleb!👍👍

Welcome to the forum Charlie! This is the right place to learn about detectors, as well as all other forms of "treasure" hunting! 

Your detector is most likely a Chinese knockoff! But if it detects metal, use it and see what you can find! If you stay interested in the hobby, consult the detector recommendations on this forum for a more mainstream unit! There are plenty in all different price ranges and configurations! And we are all able to help you in that direction, if and when you are ready! This hobby can be a great adventure into much of the history that surrounds you in London! It should be fun and relaxing, not frustrating! Your equipment is a key part of that!

Also, there should be several detecting clubs in your area to hook up and tag along with for permission hunts and such! They are also a great way to pick up used detectors and equipment, when the other members upgrade, etc...! Plus your learning will increase expidentially being in the field with experienced people!

Wherever you go with this hobby, enjoy the ride! And all the people you will meet along the way! Good Luck! And keep us posted!!👍👍

• Like 3

Thanks for all the responses. It would appear my theory that I am in fact a cyborg remains unproven.

I figured it was a good detector to try the hobby with. Will definitely upgrade in the future if this out to be as fun as I imagine!

Cheers

11 hours ago, ch1gz said:

I figured it was a good detector to try the hobby with.

As long as it is working for you to find things, it would be a inexpensive way to learn how you like the hobby.

When I started I thought I would not be able to find anything at all with the detector I got from my grandfather.

Since then I have been learning the detector and I am amazed at everything I have pulled out of the ground with it.

I am still learning the unit and know that I will enjoy this hobby for a long time.

Good luck and good hunting!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Charles

I was hoping it was detecting an alien ! 

But Cyborg would have been more likely for sure !

Better luck next time.

Maybe you still can use it to find a cyborg ,  WAIT ! 

Maybe we've ALL been replaced by Cyborgs in our sleep ???

Welcome aboard and hope you find some cool stuff.

I've seen some amazing finds in your neck of the woods !