How Many Here Have Found A 1877 Indian Head Penny Or Had One Of Their Buddies Find One?

The above is my buddy who found the one and the only time he  is  clad hopping is when he is hunting the dry sand and getting more then his  share of the clad on the beach. This guy is a silver slayer that switched to the Nox from his Explorer   2. He said hunting some of the deep and difficult  clad helped him  adjust to the tougher old coins in the  turf. It  showed in the fall with his great results which  included a Barber half in a pounded spot.The first 6 month in the  turf he was kicking my butt on the silver with his explorer 2   where he started with 10  right off the bat and me head to head at 0 with my Nox.I   made  adjustments and  I finished the  year at almost a 100 even with my late start.In one park Emi made his Explorer get very bad results  while my Nox cleaned up. Around the end of 2019 he bought one and he like me had to adjust to the new machine.I  knew the  X-terra very  well and this helped me adjust to the sounds.He has now  adjusted where  he can keep up with me with his Nox.He used it in the water ,on the    dry sand plus in the turf and did great in all these  spots .It is a machine  that is great in many different places.This machine is more then a jack of all trades.

• Like 2

The 1877 is very rare to find, my grandfather has 1 in his collection that he bought before I was born. The value has gone through the roof when they are in great condition.

• Like 4

I'd have to look can't remember if I had that year. With my luck it will resemble a copper slug.

...dug through all my finds and nope except a couple slugs

• Haha 1

My  friend who found that coin above did not even know the 1877 was a key date  until he  gave the guy who has 2 of those key coins  all the dates  of the  Indians he found that day over the phone. The guy who gave him the info that he had a key date over the phone found his 2 coins after my  friend found the one above.The 1877 is the only one I am missing.

2 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

The 1877 is the only one I am missing.

So you have every date+mm in the series except the 1877?  Did you find all of them with a detector?

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

So you have every date+mm in the series except the 1877?  Did you find all of them with a detector?

Sorry,   all the ones but the S  mint coins and the 1877.I even got the 1864- L .There was one older park  that gave up a good   number and  having a explorer in 2000 gave  me an edge. I also got my only silver dollar in this      park and over a   100 civil war  mini balls plus a a US belt plate.I thought I would get a gold coin here put that did not pan out.

• Like 4

I have never found an 1877 Indian but I was fortunate to find an 1872 with incredible detail. Being a semi key date Indian if it didnt have the green patina it would be around a 500 dollar coin.

One thing I was lucky enough to find was a 1916 D mercury dime that graded out to VF-35 and ironically enough I found both coins in the same weekend hundreds of miles apart!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Haer said:

I have never found an 1877 Indian but I was fortunate to find an 1872 with incredible detail. Being a semi key date Indian if it didnt have the green patina it would be around a 500 dollar coin.

One thing I was lucky enough to find was a 1916 D mercury dime that graded out to VF-35 and ironically enough I found both coins in the same weekend hundreds of miles apart!

I think a smooth  clean  pea green  Indian looks way cooler then a brown or red one.A nice 1872  Indian is a great find.Me and my  friends have been trying  for  that 1916-d  merc but no   luck.That to me is better then a 1877 Indian since they are harder to find.   2 of my buddies did get a 1921 merc in the same  small field of one section of a park.