Masked Objects Tid's

What an interesting test! I don’t recall seeing something exactly like this, where what you are testing is the amount of target id skewing that might occur. It’s always devastating to see this illustrated, as it shows that for other than clean targets, the id numbers can be all over the map. Which in turn means that short of digging everything, you are going to leave good stuff behind using any discrimination at all.

The AT Pro did quite well. 👍🏻

• Like 7

Cool test kac! I always appreciate the effort, when you all set up testing scenarios like this one, and post the results!

Thanks!!👍👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Even though I don't use any of those detectors I liked how well you sowed the test and results.

This gives me more knowledge down the road should I ever get one of those units.

Knowledge is the only way someone can learn the tricks of their unit to become better at this hobby.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Nice test , curious to see what would would have been the results of the deus or orx , which are really excellent in iron trash masking conditions  ... I do not know either the kruzer , gold kruzer or at pro btw ... 

• Like 2

This wasn't supposed to be machine specific as it was to show the spectrum of frequencies with the machines I had that have a VDI. Oddly recovery speed seems less relevant when a masking object is directly over a target. Makes sense as you don't need the machine to separate 2 objects but rather see through it. My guess is that is why the AT Pro was able to produce consistent numbers even though those numbers were in the iron/junk range often they would produce a higher tone other than a grunt. If the AT Pro had a mineralization meter it would be much better.

So with that being said the Deus and Orx might do better in those conditions if you lowered the reactivity rather than the other way around.

I had been wanting to do this test for a while because some argue machines up average and I had seen in many cases the opposite and it boils down to what minerals are in the ground and what the target is below so in that case it goes either way.

The hardest hunting seems to be with coal and coke because not only does it trigger the machines in the iron range but will spike them well above, bog iron, iron halos and even magnetite seem to be easier to negotiate.

What ever machine you use if it has a mineral meter keep a good eye on that and the size of the sound of the target you hear.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kac said:

some argue machines up average

Isolated aluminum targets like a rolled up beavertail up average to the dime range in my ground with most any single frequency detector. Equinox does not nor did CTX. Adding a multifrequency unit to your test mix might be interesting.

• Like 7

Easy enough test for anyone to do even if you just scrape the iron oxide off an old horse shoe or break up some coal and put it in a baggie. Think I forgot to mention I kept the coil 2" above the mask so my total depth to target was 7" approx. The magnetite I got was from my water hunting in local swim hole. I had a hard drive magnet stuck to the bottom of my scoop and end of the day it would look like a chia pet.

Kac ....  you did a very educative test on three different detection situations ... Thanks..:wink:

If you specify the exact weight of rust, magnetite, and coal..and also the test conditions, then this test could be very easily standardized.

And I was glad .. if you could standardize this test ..👍

Now to the test ...

1. Test - Masking with iron, rust .. or Hematite .. can strongly reduce the ID of a non-ferrous object and from the lower level of the ID limit .... at the lower limit of discrimination between iron and non-ferrous metals ...
  In this case, the high frequency can strongly help in such a detection situation ...

2. Test -Strongly mineralized mineralized in this case strongly increases the ID of the object ... and where medium and highly conductive objects in the small depths of the sea to pass into the iron zone ... it also applies to small less deep objects .. which you at VLF detectors will be displayed, for example, under the high ID 97-99 at the upper limit ... Non-iron zone, alo even go to the iron zone ..

Some detectors are better built on such detection conditions .. and allow stable detection ... even if * the object ID will still be very high ..

3. ..Test ..Terain containing coke, coal, but also simulate saline strongly conductive detection field, where we can count the most terrain that contains a strong proportion of salt from agricultural fertilizers .. since this terrain is partially conductive / strongly similar to very fine Aluminum foil / in this case the object ID is averaged and the "ID" terrain "is averaged.
 In this case, high frequencies are much more prone to such a reduction in ID.

On the contrary, low frequencies will be more resistant to such an ID shift ...

The fact that these tests had an increased complexity compared to normal conditions is only a plus ... because this is how they will manifest themselves in a certain way ... and less well known detection characteristics of various detectors in situations that are very demanding ...
 This allows you to get to know the detector you are working with better ..., or they will allow you to find reliable settings of the detector for such detection situations.

........................................................................................................................................................................

Etrac and 1 gram gold brick at 15cm= 6" in Black Sand.. / 4.4% Magnetite /

VID_20201205_120123_Moment.jpg

• Like 6