Season's Greetings.....

2bit_digger

Well I'm finally joining up. I've lurked here numerous times and have read a lot of really great dig stories, and appreciate the valuable tips given by the experienced detectorists. I try to absorb all of that info, and apply it when MD'ing, but time doesn't allow for that to happen often enough....the good news (for me) is that retirement will happen in a few months...so no excuses after that.

I'm located in Illinois and  primarily detect on old farm/home sites.

Good luck to all.

• Like 5

What part of Illinois are you in, I am just below Springfield.

Glad to see you here and welcome aboard!

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 12:10 AM, 2bit_digger said:

I'm not far from Springfield.

Well I am from Montgomery County, so if you ever want to get down this way we could do some old areas around my parts.

Do you ever pan for gold, if so I have some good locations for that also.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2020 at 1:34 AM, Valens Legacy said:

Well I am from Montgomery County, so if you ever want to get down this way we could do some old areas around my parts.

Do you ever pan for gold, if so I have some good locations for that also.

Thanks for the offer to hunt your areas. Likewise, you can come just north to hunt these areas. I've never panned for gold.

I'll bait you with a few of the older silver finds from a few years back. Most were found at Christian County farms. The 1851 Trime, and the 1855 Canadian 5 cent piece were found within inches of each other near Lake Springfield.

silver026i856.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice finds, and I have to ask if they were from the old road to Vandalia the old capital.

There were several trading spots in farm fields along the trail/road at that time.

We will have to get together come spring/summer.

Have a good Christmas.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 2bit_digger said:

I'll bait you with a few of the older silver finds from a few years back.

Welcome, 2bit_digger!  That's quite a collection of oldies (including 2 halves).  How many years is "a few"?

14 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Very nice finds, and I have to ask if they were from the old road to Vandalia the old capital.

There were several trading spots in farm fields along the trail/road at that time.

Hmmm.  That's pretty valuable research info you're broadcasting there, VL.  You may think everyone knows that, but I didn't, although I did know that Vandalia was the first capital of Illinois.  (Pretty long drive for me, though.  I did meet up with your grandfather at a halfway location when he was first learning his Eqx 800.  We both found old coins that day, too, in a park we had no idea would produce.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Welcome, 2bit_digger!  That's quite a collection of oldies (including 2 halves).  How many years is "a few"?

Thanks. I would say that those were found over a span of 10 years, and that pic is 5 years old...About half of them were found with a Minelab Soverign XS.  That's the rough time frame of when i started hunting those Christian County home sites. They have also netted numerous IH pennies 5 large copper cents, a silver thimble, and many other goodies.  Not much to show for that 10 yrs because work hours gave me very little time to spare for MD'ing, still not bad.. When spring breaks I'm taking the 800 to go over those same sites.

16 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

We will have to get together come spring/summer.

Have a good Christmas.

Thanks!! The homes were all along the same old road.  Not sure where the trail that you are referring to was located. Contact me when the cold weather is done.

I do most hunting early spring after the ground thaws and before crops are planted or the weeds grow too high

• Like 1