Anyone Have Info Or Experience Using Metal Detectors With A Pacemaker?

Mtron

I just had a pacemaker installed and I’m  having trouble finding info on using my metal detectors with it. Just wondering how the detector batteries and EMI will affect my  pacemaker. Maybe the only thing I’ll have to worry about is whether it will implode if I swing across a really big nugget? 😳 Hopefully I can keep detecting with no problems from the pacemaker or my heart! Thanks for any input.  

P. S. I understand if anyone is hesitant to answer because of liability issues. That’s one reason I’m having trouble getting info including from Minelab. Can’t blame anyone for that. Just general info or experiences from anyone that has a pacemaker would help. My doctor has a bad “bedside manner”. The one time I met with him before he slapped it in me was frustrating. He had a standard response to my questions. “Get it or you die”.  He is a highly skilled and highly recommended jerk. Maybe I can get some answers on my follow up app’t but not counting on it. 

Hello Mtron,

Welcome to the forum! 

As with any medical device, or medication interactions, always consult your doctor!

Now that we have that out of the way; Generally, only strong magnetic fields have the potential for causing issues with your pacemaker! Keep magnets, and metal detector coils away from your chest! It's the strength and proximity that is the issue! No more MRI's at the doctor either, more than likely!

If you go through airport type security, inform TSA, or security of your pacemaker! They deal with this every day, and know the routine!

You walk through magnetic fields all the time without even being aware they are there! Most big stores have them at their entry's and exits! Overhead power lines, appliances, etc... and they will have no effect on you!

My father has had no issues at all with his; he's now 85! I'm sure there are at least a few on this forum that can verify what I've said!

If all else fails, call your cardiologist(s) for definitive advice! He/they will be the final word! (I beleve in second opinions, when it comes to doctors)!

Good Luck! And may you live long and prosper!👍👍

• Like 4

Thanks for the good info. I was aware of store and airport detectors and know not to linger around them. Just wonder about using a detector all day. Also was told not to keep my cell phone in my front left pocket. That leads me to wonder about Minelab batteries worn close to the pacemaker. I have mine on my back which will put it too close.   Joe D. , Good to hear your 85 y. o. Dad gets along fine with his pacer. Does he metal detect? Steve, thanks for giving us this great forum resource. Much appreciated. 

• Like 3

Hey Mtron,

Good advice above. I just joined the forum today. I have a pacemaker, and have been doing a lot of detecting since August. I have a Minelab Equinox 600 and a Garrett Ace 400, and have spent entire days out in the fields around my house with no ill effects. If anything I am doing much better now with all the exercise I'm getting. I do keep the coil away from me, and keep magnets at a distance. Best of luck to you!

• Like 3

This is a good resource of information regarding pacemaker precautions: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/living-with-a-pacemaker-or-implantable-cardioverter-defibrillator-icd

Bottom line, as said previously, the issue is mainly keeping your pacemaker out of the presence of strong magnetic fields.

As long as you are not placing the MD coil on your chest, the emissions from the control unit and battery/amplifier unit are similar to that of a cell phone.

HTH

• Like 2

G350Platinum, like you this is my first post but I’ve been a member several years. This forum is full of good info and good people. You have already contributed some good info regarding the pacemaker. Not everyone will need that info but I sure appreciate all the responses I’ve gotten on this topic. Chase, HTH in a big way! Once again you’ve given direct, no b.s. info. Joe D. and Steve thank you for your experience and willingness to help. Very reassuring. Beats being told “get it or die”. 😆 Full disclosure at risk of making you or MtRon mad. I am MtRon’s wife posing as MtRon. Didn’t mean to be deceptive but it feels that way now. I should have stated that at the beginning. Thanks for all the info. 

• Like 3

On 12/21/2020 at 11:51 AM, Chase Goldman said:

This is a good resource of information regarding pacemaker precautions: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/living-with-a-pacemaker-or-implantable-cardioverter-defibrillator-icd

Bottom line, as said previously, the issue is mainly keeping your pacemaker out of the presence of strong magnetic fields.

As long as you are not placing the MD coil on your chest, the emissions from the control unit and battery/amplifier unit are similar to that of a cell phone.

HTH

The link above is a good reference. I have used a MineLab detector with both Pacemakers that I have had. The last one is MRI capable and have been in a MRI machine. The only concern I have is the large Super Magnet I have on the pick might be getting too close. The manufacture will advise you what not do, and I am sure they err on the safe side.

• Like 3

Well MY pacer (2nd one) seems to affect the amount of gold I find.... 

i can’t seem to find enough since I had them put in......

.... course I didn’t find enough before I got them either 🤠

seriously, if i leaned over my coil on the 7000 while digging one out.... it would let me know I was too close.

Other than that, no worries mate!

• Like 1