Not that I know of, and question is why would you? Gold is not as good a conductor as copper, it weighs more, and costs far more. So you would get a heavier coil that costs a fortune and does not work as well.

People think gold is a great conductor because of its use in electronics, when in fact it is because gold does not tarnish or corrode while still being "good enough".

Silver is a better option than copper in theory, but again the oxidation issue is a big factor.

From https://www.bluesea.com/resources/108

post-1-0-41245700-1450287760_thumb.jpeg

Conductivity in metals is a result of free electrons. While many electrons are bound to individual atoms, some are not, roaming freely around the solid. When a potential is applied, these electrons move accordingly, producing a current. Conduction is defined as the ratio of that current to the applied potential.

So what makes a good conductor? You'll notice that the top three conductors (Ag, Cu, Au) share a column on the periodic table and have exactly one valence electron which is easily freed from its "parent" atom.

So why are these metals better conductors than say sodium, which also has one valence electron? The reason for this is the total number of electrons in each atom. With sodium and other light elements, even the outermost electrons are somewhat close to the nucleus and feel its pull.

As atoms get larger however, more and more electrons are between the nucleus and valence shell, shielding the outermost electrons from the nucleus' influence. This is why silver is a better conductor than copper, it is a larger atom with a more strongly shielded nucleus.

Curiously, the best shielding is actually seen with the d-orbitals (elements in rows 4-5 of the periodic table) and once f-orbitals are introduced (rows 6-7, i.e. gold) the conductivity is slightly less, even though the atoms themselves are larger.

I apologize if these are ignorant questions, been a while since i worked electrical principals and theory.

i know the type of material in a coils core helps to determine its em field(as well as #turns, length to width ratio and amount of current) i just dont know the characteristics of each material as far as field strength.

My idea is to find conductor that makes the biggest em field by least weight and current, then to wind each half of coil in opposing directions creating an elongat sed em field to hopefully aid in penetration. i suspect that the spiral wound coil does same thing(creates bigger field ) but someone beat me to that idea.

post-705-0-97652000-1450299638_thumb.jpg