A Prospector Trinket - With Tiny Gold Nuggets, Or A Tourist Souvenir

Stu

OK so gold nuggets may be the wrong phrase. I'm not quite sure on the words as mainly detect muddy fields looking for old silver coins. I also look for coins in sales and antique shops and I bought this some years ago with some quite nice US silver coins in a lot that all came together. The coins were unusual in that I don't see many good US coins from the 1860's. I put this little locket to one side and didn't give it much thought. Then tidying some things together I looked at it again - and realised that the glass is old, it has degraded. And the contents are tiny bits of gold. The frame I guess is also gold, but no hallmarks so only a guess. It is well made and holds together with a tiny fixing screw.

Has anyone seen one of these before? Is it just a common bit of prospecting 'look what I found in California' item, or did the prospectors sell these to the tourists - a bit like opal (and gold) in Australian airports. Is it just me that has never seen one of these before? 

DSCF5532.JPG

DSCF5533.JPG

DSCF5534.JPG

DSCF5535.JPG

• Like 6

I’ve seen thousands of those. Every jewelry shop / tourist trap in Alaska has something like that, as do those in many gold mining districts. I actually was a dealer and sold the empty lockets, which come in all sorts of sizes, shapes, and styles. The small round “coin edge” locket pictured is a very popular size.

This is a good way to to sell off small gold and get a better than normal price. Long story short looks like real placer gold near as I can tell... cool find!

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/floating-gold-nuggets-alaska-natural-1885197365

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve, good link and good to see another. I tried an internet search - but its one of those things with getting the words just right. Stu

3 hours ago, Stu said:

The frame I guess is also gold, but no hallmarks so only a guess. It is well made and holds together with a tiny fixing screw.

Has anyone seen one of these before? Is it just a common bit of prospecting 'look what I found in California' item, or did the prospectors sell these to the tourists - a bit like opal (and gold) in Australian airports. Is it just me that has never seen one of these before? 

Here's a link that sells the different shapes and sizes of those pendants:

http://www.andjewelry.com/Products/coin-edge-lockets.html

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I like this locket, it looks so mysterious and old. It is the keeper of historical events which left a mark on its edge. I would like see this locket in real life, to feel with my hands every scratch, chip. There is its romanticism in such old things. I think this locket can be used like a keychain, thereby it will always be near and will remind those difficult times. I have more than 7 keychain and each one has its own history and meaning. I have a coin which is the first coin I earned myself, I also have a keychain from https://myfacebobbleheads.com/collections/key-chain, which is a doll of my father who died from cancer. I think this locket will be a perfect part of my collection.

On 12/21/2020 at 4:09 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

This is a good way to to sell off small gold and get a better than normal price.

You mean like this?

https://www.rarecollectiblestv.com/1857-gold-double-pinch-from-the-ss-central-america-in-pcgs-holder.html

• Oh my! 1

On 2/11/2021 at 2:26 PM, Steven Decker said:

Do you still have this Coin Edge Locket?

Hi Steven, yes I still have this, it has pride of place in my box of odd things.