Dry Spell: Central Florida East Coast Beaches

I've seen some dry spells in my time but a combination of COVID fears, extensive renourishment and recent temperatures in the 40' - 60's have resulted in 2020 being one of the worst dry spells in memory.  The depositors just aren't flocking to our beaches in normal numbers.  

I haven't been down south or on the west coast of FL recently, but if your interested in detecting from Jacksonville to the Treasure Coast, I can tell you my experience has been one of a lot more exercise than any significant detecting success.  

Praying for an improvement in 2021. 

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 2

29 minutes ago, ColonelDan said:

I've seen some dry spells in my time but a combination of COVID fears, extensive renourishment and recent temperatures in the 40' - 60's have resulted in 2020 being one of the worst dry spells in memory.  The depositors just aren't flocking to our beaches in normal numbers.  

I haven't been down south or on the west coast of FL recently, but if your interested in detecting from Jacksonville to the Treasure Coast, I can tell you my experience has been one of a lot more exercise than any significant detecting success.  

Praying for an improvement in 2021. 

At the beaches I hunt, here in southern California, you would not know that there was a pandemic just judging by the crowds this year. When I went detecting parking was just as hard to find as ever. 

The only things that were different were that a few (very few) people (like myself) were wearing masks and over the 4th of July weekend some beaches were "closed". I say "closed" because there were miles of fencing installed but openings to (I assume) allow locals onto the beach. 

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

I'm sure once this pandemic is under control they will more than make up for lost beach time, that is if there is anyone left for not following ordinances.

I found it a little hypicritical that residents of beaches, their families, friends, co workers etc  were allowed to roam the beaches here and crowd up as long as they had access to private parking.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

I haven't been down south or on the west coast of FL recently, but if your interested in detecting from Jacksonville to the Treasure Coast, I can tell you my experience has been one of a lot more exercise than any significant detecting.

Swfl has been good to me. Over $3000 in jewelry since September (started detecting in June with the simplex and August with the equinox).

Weekend Warrior.

Location, location, location. I find that rich people aren't so stupid with their jewelry as I thought.  So I started looking for public accesses close to the top hotels. These depositors want to wear their jewelry to show off in the rich areas. They seem to be more careless.

I hunt 2-3 hours before low tide, follow it down and then stay out as far as I can for as long as I can.  Start with big up and downs, tightening them as you define the deposit areas.  Sometimes it takes me 2 days to find a patch, sometimes I hit a ring first target. 

Do your research. Drive up and down the beach.  Webcams and tide charts open at the same time. Just some things I do. GLHH

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

I know from the Treasure Coast south, renurishment is the biggest issue affecting beach finds! Covid only compounded the issue, killing recent drops! Which makes those erosion events all the more precious! But i refuse to quit the hobby; i enjoy it too much!! There is always somewhere else to detect! Even if it's not the stuff i would prefer to find! 

With the exception of the few who make a living detecting, how many of us just throw our finds in box, after examining, and maybe posting them! And never really care much after that! Other than to cash them in once in awhile! 

It's the hunts, finds, people, and experiences along the way! That is the "treasure" we are after! After that, it's just stories, and stuff in a box!👍👍

• Like 2