Equinox Emi Solved???

midalake

ย 

37 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

Does EMI not enter from the coil itself? Seems like with the 6" coil on it's less affected. I tried EMI shielding tape on the head unit and got no EMI relief.

The EMI noise cancel feature and front end filters, generally take care of that issue by selecting the appropriate frequency transmit channel. The coil tends to pick up power line and similar interference.ย  The microprocessor is susceptible through the unshielded plastic control head enclosure especially to WiFi, portable radio,and cell phone emissions, which is what this hack is attempting to remedy.

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Looks like that metallic tape they use for duct work, no?

I use that same tape, to tape the seams on the wood pellet stove vent. It's pretty thick and now I'll have to try it on my machine too. I'm betting it won't work on all types of EMI, but if it works on my train EMI at the beach, then it will work anywhere๐Ÿ˜„

I finished off the dooberry that allows my foil hat to be connected to the electronics ground of the Eqx at the USB port. Pictures have been added to my earlier post.

A brass spacer pillar with an M3 stud on it is used to bolt the foil to the ground. The hat can be used alone, or the dooberry fitted and the hat grounded. There may be enough wiggle-room to slide the dooberry along 2mm and break the spring-pip connection, in which case the with/without ground experiment is greatly simplified.

Screen_7530c.jpg

• Like 2

I've read this thread... great information and ideas.ย ย  I'm motivated to try making a triple layer protective cover from copper-nickle cloth and a plastic insulator layer to create a capacitor - EMI shielded dust cover.ย ย  Looks like it may be copper colored for the first one, will try to find some black copper cloth if I can.ย ย ย ย  Ordering cloth tonight, it will be a good winter project.

Hope that this will solve some problems with overhead wire and transformer interference as well as some irritating robotic mowers that are permanently stationed at some soccer/sports fields here.ย  They make the EQ800 inoperable in multi even with sens turned down to lowย  single digits.ย ย  Mowers have a large charging pad and also constant contact GPS location transmission even when they are fully charged and on their pads.

9 hours ago, sodbuster said:

I'm motivated to try making a triple layer protective cover from copper-nickle cloth and a plastic insulator layer to create a capacitor - EMI shielded dust cover.ย 

Sodbuster, Start slow just like I did with aluminum foil wrapped around the pod for your first experiment. If it works......then go hog wild.ย 

Dave

• Like 1

I got the opportunity last night to sneak out to a local public park that has bad EMI, that is caused by a large water tower bristling with radio antennae.
Unfortunately, not the result I was hoping for. The foil hat made absolutely no difference to pickup - that's with or without the circuit ground connection in place. I also tried varying the coil height and with the coil sat on the grass, the EMI dropped a bit, compared to 1" / 25mm above the ground. This pretty much confirms that in this location, it's the coil that's picking up all the interference, none is directly entering the control pod.
The farm field that has the microwave tower at one end is a muddy swamp at the moment ( like most of the UK currently ) so that will have to wait a while before testing there. This is the important location, as the field has given up some good finds, many of which are small and 'low conductivity' , and I'd like to run in Park2/Field2 , but that is more EMI-prone.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PimentoUK said:

Unfortunately, not the result I was hoping for. The foil hat made absolutely no difference to pickup - that's with or without the circuit ground connection in place. I also tried varying the coil height and with the coil sat on the grass, the EMI dropped a bit, compared to 1" / 25mm above the ground.

Well I am not within eye sight of any tower equipment?ย  Did you happen to try different modes?ย ย ALSO I am using hard wired headphones!ย 

I am hunting the beach here in Beach 2 and that mode is what resulted in my EMI loss with the mod.ย  Might be worth a try to toggle over?ย ย ย 

1 hour ago, midalake said:

Sodbuster, Start slow just like I did with aluminum foil wrapped around the pod for your first experiment. If it works......then go hog wild.ย 

Dave

Thank you for the advice Dave.ย  I will take it.ย  Aluminum foil prototype ๐Ÿคž

• Like 1