Equinox Emi Solved???

midalake

2 hours ago, midalake said:

****UPDATE****

I made a aluminum shield out of tape that goes over my cover and can be removed.  I have the same EMI outcome. No EMI from cell phones and NO EMI from that communications equipment. 

Dave

image.thumb.png.22637738d30d9006c872bd1d6b83c080.png

I'm confused in more ways than one (kinda typical for me...).  What are you showing in the picture?  What 'tape' are you talking about?  When you say "same EMI outcome", same as what?  Thanks (in advance) for clearing up my confusion.

1 minute ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm confused in more ways than one (kinda typical for me...).  What are you showing in the picture?  What 'tape' are you talking about?  When you say "same EMI outcome", same as what?  Thanks (in advance) for clearing up my confusion.

Please go to my fist post [I am the OP]. 

In the picture is a cage built out of aluminum tape. Some of is unpeeled [not sticky] several layers to give it stability.   

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, midalake said:

In the picture is a cage built out of aluminum tape. Some of is unpeeled [not sticky] several layers to give it stability.

OK, I think you've given answers to my questions so far.  To summarize, your original post showed an aluminum foil shield which fits around the pod.  That solution solved the EMI problems you were having.  You've since made a shield from some kind of aluminum tape that works equally well.

Next question:  what tape did you use?  When you say "not sticky" does that mean the tape is merely aluminum without an adhesive?  And if your answer is "it does have adhesive" then is that adhesive conductive?

I made a foil shield for my pinpointer using Gorilla tape to reinforce the foil. That was because it was causing problems with my T2.  It worked great.

I might have to try making one for the EQX control pod now that I've seen the one above. I have sites near powerlines where I can't use Multi or the lower frequencies without drastically lowering the sensitivity.

8 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Next question:  what tape did you use?  When you say "not sticky" does that mean the tape is merely aluminum without an adhesive?  And if your answer is "it does have adhesive" then is that adhesive conductive?

You know this is not that hard!  The tape is sticky, not peeled it is not sticky. I assembled it so all pieces touching my cover still have the backing on it! 

7 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

I have sites near powerlines where I can't use Multi or the lower frequencies without drastically lowering the sensitivity.

Hey Badger

I am 100% positive my EMI was communications equipment. I have been waiting for feedback on Electric EMI. So please post, I guess no guarantees? 

Thanks Dave

4 hours ago, midalake said:

I am 100% positive my EMI was communications equipment.

I was having problems with EMI at times and found that if I turn off the bluetooth and wireless items it calms down a lot. I live in a rural area where the power companies use WiFi over their power lines, and that was why I thought about the WiFi on the unit.

Grandfather had mentioned it last year when he was having problems and told me how to get around it as much as possible by taking those steps. I never use headphones so I don't use those settings. You can always look for the power company's antenna's by looking for a square box with an antenna straight down. They can pick up your power meter up to a mile from them, so it has to have some power coming off them to interfere with a detector.

Hope this helps someone.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, midalake said:

You know this is not that hard!  The tape is sticky, not peeled it is not sticky. I assembled it so all pieces touching my cover still have the backing on it! 

Looks like that metallic tape they use for duct work, no?

• Like 1

Duct tape and heavy duty aluminum foil should work just as well if you're on a budget and already have the materials at home.

• Like 1