Has This Ever Happened To You!?

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Much of what you showed in those photos are called 'relics' by some detectorists.  I think the cliche' one man's trash is another man's treasure was created by a relic hunter after a long backbreaking day without so much as a coat button.  Many a day I've gone coin hunting only to end up with some of those priceless relics.  Come to think of it, that's probably why Steve named a subforum here with dual title "Detecting for Coins and Relics".  😉

As an avid relic hunter first and foremost, the stuff in those pics are all modern iron and farm junk, cheeto nails, shotgun shells, modern casings and bullets that are not really deirable relics (unless you are a trained archeologist looking for context from the analysis - believe me as a detectorist volunteer at historic sites, I have bagged and tagged my share of nails and other obscure ferrous artifacts and know the difference).  The reason they are in those containers is because I do comb through them to make sure the are indeed trash and not treasure.  I have recovered a number of ferrous keeper relics and they don't end up in the junk piles, believe me.

• Like 1