How Many Of You Would Jump On A CTX If Minelab Dropped The Price To 1200 ?

9 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

If I had to guess and Minelab  brings out a new Multi IQ variant     that is  superior to  the Nox by a wide  margin... (emphasis mine)

Is that even possible?

• Like 3

I'm on my second CTX I sold the first one for $500 less then I paid for it and that machine had paid for itself several times over... if that even matters because I hunt for fun not money... However since the Nox came out my CTX has been sitting... I prefer the Nox for it's speed  it's just too fun to swing. I still use the CTX if I'm hunting in trashy parks and a couple very trashy beaches that are loaded with bottle caps.....as far as ergonomics go I feel some of you are giving the CTX a bad rap yes it is heavier overall but the Nox is Nose heavy so thy both have their faults...both with the small coils are effortless to swing...I will say one thing about the CTX it is slower then the Deus and Nox but if you hunt slow with it in nails with the small coils you will be rewarded as it has the uncanny ability to lock on coins and other good targets...like any machine you have to use it a lot to learn it... so for you CTX bashers here was me yesterday with mine in a very old hunted out site 🙂 

strick 

20201224_110714.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, calabash digger said:

.How much better is the CTX and ETRAC on deep silver than the Equinox?

In my experience using both I dont think the ctx punches any deeper on silver then the Nox in fact I would say the Nox is just as deep if not deeper but the ID is more reliable on the CTX 

strick

• Like 2

Guest calabash digger

I have never been called a CTX basher..🤪  Just garrett  . What I am about to say is  just my opinion... I bought into those saying the CTX is well balanced so the weight does not matter.... Well I will tell you this after swinging it for a few hours the balance did not matter.. The CTX hurt me... The Nox is nose heavy but no where as uncomfortable as the CTX on a long hunt day. IMO

As for using the CTX will a small coil in heavy iron it loved to false on the square nails and I could not stand it ..Nice coin !!

Now go back in there with the Deus or Equinox  to see what you missed...

8 hours ago, strick said:

so for you CTX bashers here was me yesterday with mine in a very old hunted out site 🙂 

8 hours ago, strick said:

In my experience using both I dont think the ctx punches any deeper on silver then the Nox in fact I would say the Nox is just as deep if not deeper but the ID is more reliable on the CTX 

strick

Agree totally with this.  It does do one thing really well (reliably IDs at depth - but mostly under ideal site conditions) and the seated save backs that up.   

I don't agree with calling it a boat anchor for this reason.

But whether it is $1200 or $2500, that is a lot to pay for that singular capability.  The ergonomic downsides of Nox have been capably addressed by 3rd party replacement shaft systems.  And even with that additional expense, you are still ahead in the cost column (aftermarket mods can only partially address the CTX issues due to its integrated power module design).  I can go low and slow with the Nox as well and similarly lock onto deep keepers with the Nox, though probably not with the same ID depth as the CTX so that is a good point.  So there is always room for improvement.  Nox is definitely not a perfect machine, either, obviously.

Speaking for myself, I am not bashing the the CTX so much as making a commentary on the fact that it has seen its best days and a lower price point does not entice me to turn back the clock on technological capability and versatility which was the question (not whether the CTX is a good or bad machine but whether it is a good value at half the price).  It is really not a slam but a reality check.  In Multi IQ and future enhancements of that signal processing technology, ML has the ability to marry the best of both worlds and provide a CTX follow-on that maintains all the plusses of that design, while simultaneously addressing it's flaws and hopefully giving us great value in the process.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

Tom D. on his forum described the Nox as a  mid price/ mid line  machine, he said to  think of the new machine as flagship.That to  me seems  much better.I could be wrong but he is involved with this future machine.  

I assume the CTX 3030 was (still is?) considered the Minelab's flagship IB/VLF detector.  How much better was it than its predecessor?  (That isn't a rhetorical quesiton -- I have no idea what or how good its predecessor was.)