How Many Of You Would Jump On A CTX If Minelab Dropped The Price To 1200 ?

I have been lucky with my Nox.  I have had it under the water for many hours with no problems .I cut a piece of a pool noodle and put it between the pod and the arm cuff so it stays upright and never goes to deep.A  foot and a  half submerged tops with it being under mostly about 10 inches or less.I have had it under about a foot  deep for at least 5  hours  many times too in a certain lake.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

On 12/24/2020 at 5:18 PM, Dances With Doves said:

With the Nox able to bring great results at $899 plus being waterproof it seems many think the CTX is not worth the extra money or to steep a price to pay  for a detector.I would jump on one at 1200 though.

In the right hands the CTX is worth every cent.  Most hunters these days aren't serious enough to progress to the point where they can tell the difference. 

cjc

• Like 3

On 12/30/2020 at 9:02 PM, Dances With Doves said:

I have been lucky with my Nox.  I have had it under the water for many hours with no problems .I cut a piece of a pool noodle and put it between the pod and the arm cuff so it stays upright and never goes to deep.A  foot and a  half submerged tops with it being under mostly about 10 inches or less.I have had it under about a foot  deep for at least 5  hours  many times too in a certain lake.

that's a good idea.  Im on my third brain--and to do the whole silicone thing voids the warr. 

cjc

• Like 1

A machines worth is only as much as the person is willing to justify it. Machines have their following and those products click with the users or those users sell them off and get something else. I personally go for ergonomics and basic features with ease of use. I do like all sorts of options but for the most part how much micro managing do people really need to detect? Is fun to tinker, always have a Deus on the back of my mind but would I need the 40 save slots and all the finite adjustments available? Probably not.

With FBS machines it would be nice to be able to adjust the bias of the frequencies ie the ability to reduce the strength of the low frequencies and flatten out the response of the machine. I think the lower frequencies tend to dominate the detection and why they are stronger on high conductors. The Nox has modes that seem to address that issue. Maybe you guys that use fbs can chime in on that. Probably have better answers in that regard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjc said:

In the right hands the CTX is worth every cent.  Most hunters these days aren't serious enough to progress to the point where they can tell the difference. 

cjc

Hi C.J.C.Since you are on the other side of Lake  Ontario which do you prefer for your water hunting our big lake.The Nox or the CTX and do you have sections that can be thick in black sand in certain spots over there too?

12 hours ago, kac said:

A machines worth is only as much as the person is willing to justify it.

Or in other words, the detector doesn't find treasure.  I'll add one more.  Which would you rather have, the best detector made so you can hunt a beat-to-death location, or a bottom of the line detector on a virgin site?

• Like 3

Each machine has it's pluses. I've had the E Trac, and still have the CTX and the EQ 800. The E Trac with proper disc settings, long tones, in multi is a killer in trashy parks. Silver dimes at 9-10" at least  (New England soils). Target ID had some really nice quirks (bouncy numbers). The CTX  was really a beach machine for me -  relic hunting, it was good but iffy on deep targets. On the beach with the large coil on wet sand slopes, it would bang quarters at 12" like they were at 6". Number system was still good like the E Trac. Equinox is a different beast. I like some aspects of it, but absolutely hate the Target ID. No matter how you slice it, spin it or ignore it, grouping many items in the low to mid-range numbers is not Target ID. 😄 If it wasn't for the fact that it is really good at chains and small gold targets (studs, charms, etc) then I would probably sell it. Of course that it's wireless, waterproof, and has almost no weight are all pluses from the earlier models. But really for me, Minelab's design of the GPX 5000 is where I would trade all 3 of those for. I know some people don't like a lot of settings, but for me when companies make things easier for us, I lose the ability to push the machine into depth regions that I could not have gotten to without the ability to tweak the machine. I did a beach hunt yesterday that I know I would never have had the success I had if they had limited the GPX's controls. I think the best thing already said was you have to be comfortable with whatever machine you use and be happy.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Equinox is a different beast. I like some aspects of it, but absolutely hate the Target ID. No matter how you slice it, spin it or ignore it, grouping many items in the low to mid-range numbers is not Target ID.

It does seem that FBS users in particular are the ones who notice this.  Can you give some examples -- i.e. targets that get thrown together on the Eqx but which are separated on FBS (and please include digital TID values for all)?  Also, is it only the mid-range where you notice this or do high conductors (e.g. silver coins) suffer similarly?  Is the problem depth dependent?

And while you're at it, do you notice any difference in target separation capabilities of the Equinox vs. FBS? 

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

It does seem that FBS users in particular are the ones who notice this.  Can you give some examples -- i.e. targets that get thrown together on the Eqx but which are separated on FBS (and please include digital TID values for all)?  Also, is it only the mid-range where you notice this or do high conductors (e.g. silver coins) suffer similarly?  Is the problem depth dependent?

And while you're at it, do you notice any difference in target separation capabilities of the Equinox vs. FBS? 

I'll start with the easiest for me. Target separation is like night and day (with a little gray area thrown in). The Equinox separates targets way better than the other two. But the E Trac and the CTX can, if you go real slow, find targets in the iron (null). I noticed this on the E Trac especially when I did cellar holes. It would null for the iron but then pop out a target tone like on an old one piece button, very clearly. But only if you crawled. So I can't say it actually separated the two targets of if it just reported the non ferrous one. As for the condensed range on the Equinox, I can tell you I rarely dug any zinc cents that were corroded as low as (and as many different numbers) as I do now with the Nox. Zincs can read in all gold numbers where the would not read that low on the CTX or E Trac. Also tinfoil would not read high enough to be in the gold ring range where they do now with the EQ. I guess the easiest way to say it is that foil, bottle caps, and zincs are way more stretched across most of the target ID range below copper pennies. Above that, the targets are more consistent with what we are used to. Degrade a bottle cap and it drops way down. On a beach, you can't rely on the numbers as well as you could before. I know some are going to say that you can tell the difference between a piece of foil or a degraded bottle cap or a ring, but I for one liked it better when the numbers were more consistent.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Each machine has it's pluses. I've had the E Trac, and still have the CTX and the EQ 800.

Thanks for that detailed response.  It's consistent with what a local detectorists told me.  (He's the only detectorist in the 5 years I've returned detecting in my area whose path has crossed mine.)  He said his E-Trac gave more accurate TID's but he could move much more quickly with the Eqx.  (The day I saw him he had the Eqx.)

• Like 1