Is The Gpz-7000 A Deep Coin Finder?

GB_Amateur

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I specifically posted this in the general (main) forum instead of the coins and relics sub-forum, hoping those just interested in natural gold (and thus the GPZ users) would share a story or two of a deep coin that showed up.  Maybe one will still appear.

2 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I'm no authority at all using the ZED for coins, but did dig one a foot deep on my last trip to MX.

I think we were writing simultaneously.  😁  I thought about naming a few people who I figured might have found a Zed coin and you were one of them, but I think singling out some (at the exclusion of others) often discourages responses from those not explicitly recognized.  So thanks for your example (and for confirming my expectation).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elijah said:

For the last 12 years I have been searching for coins using minelab gpx. In Russia, many professionals have been looking for relics with gpx for 20 years. Many have long switched to gpz.  (emphasis mine)

Interesting!  Thanks for that tidbit of information.

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Another well-known fact (pointed out by Simon above) is that there is no such thing as a trash-free site. 

I feel Rye Patch is a Trash Free Site, as I can hunt all day and dig 10 targets and all 10 will be nuggets.  This is with the ZED of course.  Actually my last trip there, I dug 7 nuggets in a day and no trash.  Now if I get in a wash, I realize the trash to nugget ratio is less and usually 50/50 which is still pretty dang good.

All the newbies go there and dig all the surface trash out of the way...I so much love seeing newer hunters at Rye Patch as it keeps my odds up.

Actually, you don't find many targets at all when swinging Rye Patch and many days I go 1 to 2 hours and not dig a target.  But when I do find one, I'm most certain to dig a nugget.  Part of the reason I still enjoy hunting Rye Patch after 25 yrs..

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I feel Rye Patch is a Trash Free Site,...

Good to know, Gerry (and thanks for showing me the ropes at Rye Patch in Nov 2018 -- I need to return).

My statement was too general.  I was really thinking about human-made treasure, not nature's.  As I (and others) have said before, people don't (intentionally) drop their valuables and keep their trash.  Way more do just the opposite.

I've heard about coin sites where the trash has been cleaned out by detectorists along with the shallow coins, leaving only deep coins (and some deep trash).  I've never experienced that, which I consider a good thing.  Yes, they've left me most of the trash but also more of the treasure.  And as I dig up the trash I'm pretty sure they won't be coming back because they think they've already cleaned the place out of goodies.  Would I rather they had never preceded me?  Absolutely, but I can't control that.  Well, I can look for sites no one has yet found....  (That will be among 2021's New Year's Resolutions.)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I feel Rye Patch is a Trash Free Site, as I can hunt all day and dig 10 targets and all 10 will be nuggets.  This is with the ZED of course.  Actually my last trip there, I dug 7 nuggets in a day and no trash.  Now if I get in a wash, I realize the trash to nugget ratio is less and usually 50/50 which is still pretty dang good.

All the newbies go there and dig all the surface trash out of the way...I so much love seeing newer hunters at Rye Patch as it keeps my odds up.

Actually, you don't find many targets at all when swinging Rye Patch and many days I go 1 to 2 hours and not dig a target.  But when I do find one, I'm most certain to dug a nugget.  That is part of the reason I still enjoy hunting Rye Patch after 25 yrs..

Gerry has just defined PATIENCE!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Good to know, Gerry (and thanks for showing me the ropes at Rye Patch in Nov 2018 -- I need to return).

My statement was too general.  I was really thinking about human-made treasure, not nature's.  As I (and others) have said before, people don't (intentionally) drop their valuables and keep their trash.  Way more do just the opposite.

I've heard about coin sites where the trash has been cleaned out by detectorists along with the shallow coins, leaving only deep coins (and some deep trash).  I've never experienced that, which I consider a good thing.  Yes, they've left me most of the trash but also more of the treasure.  And as I dig up the trash I'm pretty sure they won't be coming back because they think they've already cleaned the place out of goodies.  Would I rather they had never preceded me?  Absolutely, but I can't control that.  Well, I can look for sites no one has yet found....  (That will be among 2021's New Year's Resolutions.)

This observation is probably not practical for most, but I used the Zed as a clean-up tool at an archeological project at a battlefield site. First step was systematic gridding with VLF machines which identified a lot of targets, both modern and from the 1860s. I then ran the Zed over one of the same grids. It was just an experiment, but resulted in a dozen or so new targets. A couple were shallow "misses" but several were round or maxi-balls from deeper. Nothing real deep, but strong signals. 

• Like 4

Closest thing that I found to a coin with the Z, again around 2 feet deep, was a dress weight.  The thing is made of lead and it sounded so good I thought it was going to be a nugget for sure LOL, then I thought it was a coin until I started wiping the dirt off LOL .  this is just a generic picture not the actual one I found.

image.jpeg.974d9294f17009eed9f35e685c729379.jpeg

• Like 2

i remember our   Steve doing a article on finding coins on a pounded Alaska beach that   was a little hot because of  it's sand.He did well  pulling     some   tough coins out that were missed    by a vlf machine but found with  pulse machines   .I bought the weaker Garrett Infinium and did well on old coins missed by other machines in  my beach  on Lake Ontario that  had a little black sand mixed with the tan sand.Get a big shovel and dig the low /high hits    .It was fun.