Teknetics Mark 1 - Factory Hip Mount

A local Craigslist ad had this for $100. I contacted the seller and after some conversation he indicated that in fact he had no idea if it worked or not - it was him moms - had been sitting for decades. He lived 50 miles from me and I an wary of driving much in this pandemic. I asked about the batteries and he looked - they were a mess he said. He said that he would probably trash it and I asked if he had any reason to drive my direction anytime soon. We agreed on a spot halfway and I offered $25 “sight unseen”.

The original recargable nicads were in there - a mess. The battery clips (a known issue with this machine) had a bit of surface corrosion which I filed away and some solder repairs which looked solid enough. 14 AA alkalines later and it works a bit squirrelly, but seems to be fine. Air tests at 9” or a bit on a quarter on the ground in discrim and 12” in AM. The tone ID works fine and the meter seems to under-read a bit but is consistent.

These things weigh a ton and this one is an original factory hip mount - a strange shelf-like bracket to hang the thing lying flat on your belt. Sven sent me some files on it and among them was a nifty chest mount which will hook to the D rings at each corner of the Tek - I found it on Amazon and ordered one.

I had a Compass X-100 once upon a time and this reminds me of it. Powerful but weird - the tones are great however - no digital processing - the meter gives interesting little twitches on marginal discrim signals. Should be fun and good exercise.

83B7FC0E-539C-41EF-B442-43221D0324F9.jpeg

8CC9093C-170F-49BC-80A9-B10768EBC756.jpeg

• Like 3

The GB pot is a bit wonky so I may have to do something about that. Sven sent me info on all the mods, so - we’ll see. I need to get it in the field first and see how it does.

Ans yes, I assume the pic Sven sent me was a self-port rate.

There is a well documented mod to use 2 ea 9v on the “6 x AA” side and one 9v plus 2 AA’s on the “8 x AA” side.

Lithium’s might also be a good move, but I am not qualified to deal with that - but come to think of it, I know who is....and he is on this forum (although elsewhere).

Having fun with this machine. I have never had one of these and I am amazed at how good it is from a performance point of view and how terrible it is ergonomically.

So far I have

Read about a hundred old posts on these things covering about anything worth knowing about them

sourced new nicads to use with the original onboard charger

found (but not received yet) an adapter to use coils for modern Teknetics “Frat Boys” coils with it - in my case an Ultimate 13 and a Tek 11” DD

Got a lovely modern chest harness for camera bags which fits it great

Have a call in to Keith Wills about new battery clips and hopefully an adaptor to use my ancient early whites Bigfoot coil with it

watched the magic of that huge analog meter decipher odd targets with a twitch there - a hesitation there and those lovely tones mixed in. Silver coins clearly separated from their clad successors.

clearly $25 well spent.

I had planned to use it on our upcoming club hunt, but (glad I checked) this thing HATES other detectors and goes absolutely nuts when they’re around.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 5:47 PM, Rick Kempf said:

A local Craigslist ad had this for $100. I contacted the seller and after some conversation he indicated that in fact he had no idea if it worked or not - it was him moms - had been sitting for decades. He lived 50 miles from me and I an wary of driving much in this pandemic. I asked about the batteries and he looked - they were a mess he said. He said that he would probably trash it and I asked if he had any reason to drive my direction anytime soon. We agreed on a spot halfway and I offered $25 “sight unseen”.

The original recargable nicads were in there - a mess. The battery clips (a known issue with this machine) had a bit of surface corrosion which I filed away and some solder repairs which looked solid enough. 14 AA alkalines later and it works a bit squirrelly, but seems to be fine. Air tests at 9” or a bit on a quarter on the ground in discrim and 12” in AM. The tone ID works fine and the meter seems to under-read a bit but is consistent.

These things weigh a ton and this one is an original factory hip mount - a strange shelf-like bracket to hang the thing lying flat on your belt. Sven sent me some files on it and among them was a nifty chest mount which will hook to the D rings at each corner of the Tek - I found it on Amazon and ordered one.

I had a Compass X-100 once upon a time and this reminds me of it. Powerful but weird - the tones are great however - no digital processing - the meter gives interesting little twitches on marginal discrim signals. Should be fun and good exercise.

83B7FC0E-539C-41EF-B442-43221D0324F9.jpeg

8CC9093C-170F-49BC-80A9-B10768EBC756.jpeg

I still have my hip mount mark 1 the gray one also have the red mark 1 Ltd non hip mount. Love the tones and notch on these machines and depth is very good bit heavy though hip mounting helps. The fisher czs seem to be based off these units.

On 12/29/2020 at 8:34 PM, Rick Kempf said:

Having fun with this machine. I have never had one of these and I am amazed at how good it is from a performance point of view and how terrible it is ergonomically.

So far I have

Read about a hundred old posts on these things covering about anything worth knowing about them

sourced new nicads to use with the original onboard charger

found (but not received yet) an adapter to use coils for modern Teknetics “Frat Boys” coils with it - in my case an Ultimate 13 and a Tek 11” DD

Got a lovely modern chest harness for camera bags which fits it great

Have a call in to Keith Wills about new battery clips and hopefully an adaptor to use my ancient early whites Bigfoot coil with it

watched the magic of that huge analog meter decipher odd targets with a twitch there - a hesitation there and those lovely tones mixed in. Silver coins clearly separated from their clad successors.

clearly $25 well spent.

I had planned to use it on our upcoming club hunt, but (glad I checked) this thing HATES other detectors and goes absolutely nuts when they’re around.

The Jimmy Sierra coils work very well with the mark 1 especially the six shooter.

• 3 months later...