Queensland Says: Come On Up!

mn90403

Here is a bit about some recent history of prospecting and fossicking in Queensland.  Good news for JP's business but some gold will be taken out of the ground.

There’s been an upsurge in the number of people fossicking for gold, sapphires, emeralds and opals in Queensland’s hotspots for precious metals and gems.

More than 18,000 fossickers’ licences have been issued in just the last two financial years.

https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/91243 

• Like 2

That is a lot of people to watch out for.

Thanks for the information as I am hoping to go there in the fall for a much needed rest.

Don't know if I will bring my detector or not, but if I do I hope someone will show me an area to go to.

Are you going to Queensland?

• The title was changed to Queensland Says: Come On Up!
2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Are you going to Queensland?

We are looking at 3 locations in Australia to spend 2-3 weeks and then go to NZ for a couple of weeks.

I want to see the Brisbane area, the Perth area, and maybe get into the outback areas to do some detecting.

After that head back to the states and get back to work.

• Like 6

Unfortunately it is the same in Australia as what JW has indicated for NZ.  That means 4 weeks of your trip will be in quarantine.  

It will be great for the economy to have tourists again and if you're in Victoria and the stars align we could even catch up for a detect but I would leave all plans of a trip to Oz until Covid is under control or a vaccine is doing what it needs to.  

As far as places to go - I would also go and see the Great Barrier Reef like Phrunt suggested.  Beautiful place and unfortunately probably going to be lost completely at some stage over the next 100 years.   The west coast of Oz is beautiful - very remote and quiet.  Following the coast from Port Lincoln in S.A. right around to Broome in the northwest of W.A. is a cracking trip.  

And I also have no interest in cities so couldn't advise you the 'best' city to visit.  The only value of cities is to see AFL games (Australian Rules Football) and to get to a major airport.   

Won't hurt to dream up an itinerary for when you do come I suppose  😃

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kiwijw said:

If you are thinking of coming to NZ you will have to quarantine for two weeks,

Yes I have heard that and we planned to do that where we go.

This will be the first time we have taken a 2 month vacation and want to be able to see the sites.

I can always tell my wife to go to some of the places on her own to catch some detecting, but not sure how well that would go over with her.

I am more interested in detecting than seeing another city or zoo.

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm not a city person.  Good luck if you do a trip there, but do your research well, you do have to travel great distances between "things", there are lots of good things to see, but they're all very far apart which makes a holiday where you see a lot of things difficult.

Simon, I also am not a city person and plan on using air travel to get around so I can see more when we go.

I will let you know when we go so maybe we can get together. I have told the wife that we need to stay out of the big cities as they are always a tourist trap, and to darn expensive.

• Like 1

Sounds good, I'm in!!🤣👍👍

• Like 1

As Simon said there some good spots in Aust. I have spent 10 to 15 weeks travelling all around Aust. since 1980 visiting most Aust. National Parks. Just remember that there is a lot of nothing between some of them. The best advice I can give you is take note of the climate for the time and place you pick and remember Aust is close to the size of USA.

I spent 12 weeks with the family in USA in 1977? did Honolulu, LA, Grand-Canon, Chicago, Niagara falls then down the East coast to Orlando. The Grand Canon was snowed in and the fog allowed very little yo be seen, Niagara Falls was frozen over totally, so not much luck there but spend a few weeks in Orlando and the kids loved it at the time it remined me of the Sunshine coast in QLD during winter. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, geof_junk said:

The Grand Canon was snowed in and the fog allowed very little yo be seen....

IMO, you didn't miss much.  The Grand Canyon (view from the south rim, which is all 90+% ever do) can be seen just as well in pictures.  The real experience is to hike down to the river, camp overnight or longer, and back out.  Even better is a raft trip in and out, but that takes many days and a lot more $.

I'm partial to Zion National Park in SW Utah.  Unfortunately the lower part along the Virgin River is closed to all but their tourist buses.  Having said that, it's still a fantastic experience, IMO.  Bryce Canyon National Park is nearby and has its own unique and spectacular views.

Yosemite NP in the California Sierras is quite the natural experience if you ignore the zillions of people you are surrounded by.  I was fortunate to travel the Western USA for 6 months, alone, in the winter of 1979-80 before overcrowding forced the Park Service to add severe restrictions on where and how to see these natural wonders.  I literally spent the nights in campgrounds with no other humans -- zero.  I walked across the Landscape Arch (the most picturesque, famous, and longest arch outside of China) at Arches NP.  When I returned in the late 90's you weren't allowed within half a mile of it.  Overpopulation is ruining your Great Barrier Reef and a lot more of the natural world along with it.  😪

• Like 2
  • Sad 1