Which Machine To Complement A Gpz7000, Gold Monster 1000, And Fisher F75 Ltd?

Okay everybody, I just picked up a gold monster 1000, and now I'll be either looking for it another cheap one second hand for my wife / child, and possibly an SDC 2300. Honestly though, I see two toes really likes to use his SDC, and I see some other people who defend using their SDC, say it's a great machine, but I'm not sure if they're saying that because they already made the large investment, or if it really has its place.

The thing is, one of my children will be using the f-75 ltd in all metal mode, and I really want to keep it because it's good for relics and I think it's better on the beach probably. My other child or wife will be using the monster 1000, or who knows the GPZ, so that leaves another pair of hands free, I know another monster 1000 would be very simple to use, so that my 8-year-old could pick up is use.

But I really don't have all the time in the world, and I want to make everybody as efficient as possible in the field. If you're running an f75, golden monster, GPzv7000, and trying to get your team efficient on every machine, what machine would you recommend fill the gap? We don't do any underwater detecting then the occasional stream, no SCUBA diving and rare Beach. Really we're all about picking up nuggets, lots of them the more the better. Would you guys recommend another gold monster, STC 2300, or?

We need to be doing high banking panning slucing etc, but we need one more machine for an able pair of hands.

If money is not an issue, I would choose the SDC.  If money is an issue and all you are hunting is a few inches to bedrock, the GM1000 will do.   I have the GPZ and throw the GM1000 on my back for the bedrock areas.  Just my opinion.  

Side note, I hunt desert washes and such.

Check out the Equinox 800 as it is waterproof and is ready for what you are wanting to do with it.

There is a learning curve to it, but even I have been able to use it straight out of the box with the factory settings.

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are thinking about the SDC and it's not a rush, then you might want to holdoff and wait to see what the GPX 6000 turns out to be first and how much it costs? These are unknowns presently.

Old machines have a tendency to re-price themselves cheaper when new machines are released too.

Unless you are already on some great gold and need another specific capability then you already have a pretty good pro-grade arsenal though.

From the tests done on You Tube between the Equinox,Deus and Anfibio in Culpeper dirt only the Deus and Anfibio got signals.

5 hours ago, lone wanderer said:

From the tests done on You Tube between the Equinox,Deus and Impact in Culpeper dirt only the Deus and Impact got signals.

Not sure what videos you are referring to, but Equinox has done great in Culpeper with respect to relic hunting both in my first hand experience and in my queries with others hunting there.  Don't have any direct experience with Impact (I have very rarely seen them actually being used in Culpeper relic hunts), but I know that in my first hand experience in highly mineralized soils in Culpeper and elsewhere, the only other vlf detector that even comes close to Deus and Nox is the Tarsacci MDT 8000.  The F75 and MXT are OK, but the vlf detectors above (Deus, Nox, and MDT) are a cut above.  That being said, none of them touch a GPX though when it comes to depth.  In that situation, GPX even edges out the GPZ from a relic hunting perspective due to its best in class (though rudimentary) PI iron rejection and value (though the GPZ has greater ultimate depth).  Not sure any of this is really relevant to the OP's question, however.

With respect to the OP, I think a GPX would fill the "gap" from a pure gold AND relic detecting perspective better than an SDC because of its iron rejection (though it is not entirely clear though what "gap" you are really looking fill- gold, relics, ease of use for a relative detector novice?).  But from a pure ease of use and versatility perspective (gold and relics) it would be the Equinox 800.  If considering a GPX, I agree with waiting to see if a GPX 6000 announcement is forthcoming.  In that event, if cost is not an issue (which seems to be your situation) and you can afford to wait, get the 6000.  If looking for a bargain, look for all the folks (including possibly dealers) dumping used "legacy" GPXs on the cheap anticipation of the 6000 release.  JMHO.

• Like 2

I tried to find that video again today and it was a showdown between an Equinox(model not specified) Anfibio and Deus in PA dirt on a 8 inch deep quarter done by Calabash Digger and sorry, it was not Culpeper dirt. Nox no signal, Anfibio faint in all metal,Deus absolutely smacked it on 28 Khz. Unfortunately although I watch tests on the Nox 800 on goldfields the testers never mention how good it is in highly mineralised dirt and watchers are kept continually in the dark. Also thinking the 800 does well at finding artifacts wnich are usually bigger objects but will it find a quarter at 8 inches in PA dirt?

As far as the Impact goes I have used it over 40 hours in various areas in the Golden Triangle of Victoria and including the hottest zone up north and it is able to be ground balanced easily in every location, although I have not found gold with it.In case you don't know the Golden Triangle has the most difficult soils in which to detect in in Australia. The areas here are infested with hot rocks and tin foil making it imperative to use a good VLF with a notch filter. People who use a PI can find gold but have to really work hard for it as they dig up a lot of junk. The Impact has a separate low tone for hot rocks and another one for ferrous. It has a notch filter to mask the tin foil and used with a large 17 inch coil it can go deep in DEEP mode. With the regular coil it can go 20 inches on a tin can in very hot soil. Double that for a mild soil and 40% extra with the 17 inch coil. Of course this is all theoretical and would be interesting if it could pick up the beer can at 56 inches.I have been living in Eastern Europe for 2 years and stuck here due to coronavirus. Its going to last a lot longer possibly years if the new mutated strain gets hold. There are 1812 battle sites here which can be detected and my son in law is going to take me to Smolensk in June.They have all the US brands here and the Nokta Makro at much cheaper prices.

Black sand is a different kettle of fish from Wedderburn or PA dirt? We got none in Victoria (black sand)as far as I know and I can't comment on the performance of the Impact. However the Impact does not leave you high and dry at just being able to ground balance. Using a sample 1 gram nugget I did tests there and it picks it up at 5 inches in DI2 and 3 inches in all metal mode giving good signals. Ground is too hot for DEEP mode as it is very sluggish and only picks up the target on every alternate sweep. As a rough rule of thumb you can double these depths in mild soil.

I am enjoying using the Impact in very anomalised ground like hills where a huge number of nuggets were found by the oldtimers including myself found two half ounce nuggets on a particular hill with a Whites in 1982. Finding 18 inch deep mineralised nodules giving good sharp signals just like a genuine target and ferrous objects telling me it has not been properly detected for such a historically rich location. Also 20 feet long areas of extreme ground which overloads There is a question mark regarding whether the Anfibio is as good as the Impact in very highly mineralised ground and whether the Impact is as good as the Deus or better.

On 12/28/2020 at 8:42 AM, lone wanderer said:

I tried to find that video again today and it was a showdown between an Equinox(model not specified) Anfibio and Deus in PA dirt on a 8 inch deep quarter done by Calabash Digger and sorry, it was not Culpeper dirt. 

Again, link please.  Settings please?  Mineralization (not ground balance setting) please?  Your facts keep changing (first it was Impact then it was Anfibio, Culpeper , now PA) yet you felt confident enough using third hand knowledge about a detector you have not used to imply a specific detector was a poor performer to another user on the forum???  Calabash frequents the forum, perhaps he can chip in with some facts regarding his tests on Anfibio versus Equinox.  I have not seen him ever test a detector with soil other than what he encounters in NC/SC hunting which is mild and sandy - not saying he hasn't detected in PA or used a bucket of PA dirt, I just haven't seen it.  When I have detected with him he had some good things to say about Impact - but I got the impression it was on par with Equinox for the most part and his main concern about Anfibio was regarding the overall weight and balance.  Again, second hand information on my part based on specific questions I have asked of Calabash.  I am rendering no judgement on the performance of Impact or Anfibio because I have not used them.

What you are describing regarding Equinox performance (in mineralized dirt or otherwise) makes little sense to me based on my first hand experience in Culpeper AND Pennsylvania mineralized soils with the Deus, Equinox, Tarsacci, GPX, ATX, Whites MXT, Whites MX Sport, and Fisher F75 - all of which I have used in highly mineralized dirt.  Like I said, I have seen exactly one user out in Culpeper with an Impact about 3 years ago and none with an Anfibio there (not saying they are not used, but if the had gained popularity there, I likely would have seen more in use - Equinoxes and Deus are frequently observed in the fields).  Again, none of these VLF machines hold a candle to a GPX or ATX PI's as far as depth is concerned in mineralized soils.

Note again that I am not providing any conclusions about the performance of detectors I have not used.  That includes Anfibio and Impact.  I am just relaying information about the observed usage in Culpeper and what an Anfibio tester has told me.

On 12/28/2020 at 8:42 AM, lone wanderer said:

Also thinking the 800 does well at finding artifacts wnich are usually bigger objects but will it find a quarter at 8 inches in PA dirt?

Relic hunting does not involve just large objects.  It involves recovering any worthwhile object from the soil regardless of size, composition (including ferrous), and from low to high conductivity.  So when I say performance in relic hunts in highly mineralized soils I am talking coins (silver, copper, nickel, and gold), buttons of all shapes and sizes, bullets, tiny brass hat numbers, silver ID badges, cannon balls, minie balls, brass and lead-backed belt and cartridge box plates, lead sabots, you name it.  No VLF detector is going to reliably detect a quarter or any coin sized target at 8 inches in the highly mineralized dirt (i.e., pegged Fe3O4 meter on Deus).  You might hit it at 6 but not know what it is because reliable ID depth is probably maxed out at about 4 inches.  The Equinox if set up properly tends to have an ID depth advantage (the depth at which you get a reliable non-ferrous ID) versus the Deus with the Tarsacci on par or perhaps deeper.  The Deus can in some instances have greater maximum detection depth but tends to lose its ID depth much sooner than Equinox or Tarsacci in my experience.  My Tarsacci experience is limited to about 30 to 50 hours of swing time in Culpeper since it was just recently acquired..  Equinox and Deus experience is probably hundreds of hours despite the fact that my GPX gets the most swing time.

On test garden tests (the test garden was not as mineralized as the farm fields) at a Culpeper farm, I have seen both Equinox and Deus hit reliably well on buttons, bullets, and plates at significant depths (the larger relic objects like plates being detected at up 8 to 10 inches, if I recall).  

Anyway, you have compared Impact, Anfibio (which you have first hand knowledge of) with Deus and they compare favorably.  I have compared Equinox and Tarsacci (which I have first hand knowledge of) with Deus in mineralized soil, and do not see that Equinox performs worse than Deus, perhaps on par in some instances and might have an advantage in ID depth vs. the Deus in raw depth.  Jury still out on Tarsacci, but it may have an overall advantage on both raw and ID depth versus Deus based on my real-life field tests so far.  They are all different machines however and based on setup, target type, and conditions can outperform or underperform each other in specific situations.  But a completely blind Equinox in mineralized dirt vs. Deus - that has never been my first-hand experience. I simply get concerned regarding recommendations on specific detectors or implied detector performance claims get posted as advice when the poster does not have first hand knowledge or experience with the detector in question. That's all I am really trying to say.

You only have to type in Calabash Digger on You Tube and you will find the video. I suggest you do so and stop putting words in my mouth, I did not mention the Equinox 800. I wrote very high mineralisation-not good enough for you, well it was 90/100 on the Impact mineralisation meter and at 100 the machine overloads You are trying to stop forum users from putting their views across and this is concerning and not everyone is as perfect as you seem to think you are. We as prospectors are not in the business of constantly eyeing ID,s and only go on tones which is why I like the Impact and anyway ID,s on my goldfields are not reliable and constantly fluctuate between 19 and 90. I suggest you watch the video in question and get your first hand knowledge you crave from it and see how the Equinox performs and contact Calabash not me if you don't agree with it.