Help - White's TDI Beachhunter User Looking To Upgrade

Hello everyone!

My name is Jesse, and I dig trash on the beaches of Santa Cruz, California with my White's TDI BeachHunter. Tent Stakes, Bottle caps, clad, you name it. Occasional gold (around an ounce in the last year), but wayyyyy too much garbage for the time spent out there. No, more like the right amount of garbage dug on a trashy beach with a PI with no discrimination settings LOL.

I love this machine. It's stable, reliable, punches very deep, and was a great first "real" detector. TheĀ  weight sucks (though it can be hip mounted, but I found myself getting tangled in the wired in that configuration), and the shaft sucks too.

I have saved some money, and am planning to shoot for the moon. I want the best beach detector out there, VLF, PI, or otherwise, that will help me dig 99% less garbage, and still punch deep and be fun to swing.

So far, considering a CTX 3030 or Equinox 800. Big coil for either.

Reading the forum for a few months, following developments, it seems that the metal detector market moves about as slowly as the "games in development" market. I may be outing myself as a Zoomer here but waiting for these new machines really brings me back to waiting for games to go from beta to 1.0. Anyways I'll be in possession of my next detector for the foreseeable future, and am having a hard time deciding what choice to make.

Do I get the 9 year old, 50 lb dinosaur with *slightly better VDI depth on higher conductors that costs almost double what a proper Nox setup would cost (with accessories), or do I get the Nox? Which feels just past its prime, with direct replacements probably coming out soon?

Do I wait for these detectors that exist only in the imagination? The new fisher PI, possible CTX replacement?

I have a nice pile of coin after selling some finds and other detectors and would really like to make this purchase count, any input is appreciated!:)

-TENT SPIKE DIGGER

On second thought, I do feel as if I'm being a bit picky... what features are we really looking for from new detectors? Short of "XRAY" that makes sand invisible and allows you to look THROUGH the ground to see gold and other buried treasures?

Are the detectors out now "good enough"? Will they be made obsolete by new releases? I know it's probably similar to the world of quality headphones - new, nicer headphones don't make your current drivers sound/perform worse - Equinox 800 and CTX 3030 will still be detectors for the ages but will it be groundbreaking like the release of the Equinox?

I would probably cry if I dropped 100% of $2500 MSRP on the CTX and then have the newer, better one come out months later at a very similar price.

So, what possible improvements are we looking at in terms of these machines? Will the difference be so big? And do you all think the CTX will stay the same price and it's replacement will be more expensive, similar to the GPX line?

Thanks again!

I would say the Nox... Performs, and weigh is very good.

Fisher AQ is a Great machine but My opinion, not the do all machine. So it would have to be used in combo with a good VLFĀ machine.

And remember when it comes to machines the user plays a big part. I'm using 20 year old BBS technology and do fairly good. My competition uses mostly Nox's, A few CTX's, rare to see PI's...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I would say the Nox... Performs, and weigh is very good.

Fisher AQ is a Great machine but My opinion, not the do all machine. So it would have to be used in combo with a good VLFĀ machine.

And remember when it comes to machines the user plays a big part. I'm using 20 year old BBS technology and do fairly good. My competition uses mostly Nox's, A few CTX's, rare to see PI's...

Thanks, Joe! I figured most would suggest the Nox, but the few people I've met and know who use CTX's swear by them over the Nox... we sure are in a weird time for detectors... or is it a good time for the consumer when there's even an argument for the 800$ minelab machine over the $2500 one?

Hard to be sure - but I really appreciate your input. What possible improvements would it take for you to switch from BBS to a hypothetical newer technology?

• Like 1

No titan here, just a guy whoĀ likes to beep. I only know what Iā€™d do in your shoes. Having the TDI covers youĀ for a PI,Ā so Iā€™d want a VLF to complement it, and my choice would be the Equinox. CTX is too long in the tooth for me, but the reality is we have no idea when a replacement will appear.Ā If looking for a PI other than the TDI, then waiting for the finished version of the Impulse is about the only pulse inductionĀ ā€œupgradeā€ path available.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, JesseAllen2 said:

Thanks, Joe! I figured most would suggest the Nox, but the few people I've met and know who use CTX's swear by them over the Nox... we sure are in a weird time for detectors... or is it a good time for the consumer when there's even an argument for the 800$ minelab machine over the $2500 one?

Hard to be sure - but I really appreciate your input. What possible improvements would it take for you to switch from BBS to a hypothetical newer technology?

Ā Very Happy with what I have, I use themĀ wisely to cover the short coming.

Ā 

My money would be on the 800 as it is ready to go under all conditions.

It is light weight and easy to handle, headphones or wired ear buds is your choice.

It has a great warranty and almost fool proof.

I say this as I am only a newbie and I am able to learn things with it I never thought I could.

Good luck on your choice.

• Like 1

Like the others say the Nox Ā would be a good choice...Iā€™ve hunted the Santa Cruz areas with a the TDI and itā€™s a bit much as thereā€™s a lot of iron on those beaches when you get down to the gravels. Ā Weā€™re all waiting for a faster CTX

I love my TDIBH but for iron infested beaches a Nox or Excalibur might be better choices. From what I have read about the AQ I don't think it is significantly better for your stated needs.

• Like 1