Help - White's TDI Beachhunter User Looking To Upgrade

9 hours ago, JesseAllen2 said:

just wish they made the 17" coil

They do have a 15x12 coil and I also think that they have a 20'" coil.

You might want to check on the 20" coil if you think you might be going out to the desert with it.

For gold I am going to get a 6" coil for the 800 I have.

Good luck, Caleb

22 hours ago, JesseAllen2 said:

I want to walk right over anything that isn't gold, or silver basically.

22 hours ago, JesseAllen2 said:

I am looking for a machine that will help me recognize uncorroded bottle caps, clad, tent stakes, and other non-ferrous targets.  (emphasis mine)

You've given some mixed messages in your posts.  You start out bashing the TDI/BH for its weight and then seem interested in a CTX 3030 which is even heavier.  You want gold but don't want to dig non-ferrous trash.  I've never heard of a detector that can distinguish between gold and lead or gold and aluminum.  Will there ever be one, and if so will it be coming soon?  "Maybe, and I doubt it" are my two answers to those two questions, respectively.  Possibly others disagree; I've been wrong before.

Joe Beachnut (who, BTW, does see "the huge draw" for the AQ and has proven his view with many hours in the water) gave a subtle but noteworthy piece of advice -- the detectorist plays a big role.

11 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

You've given some mixed messages in your posts.  You start out bashing the TDI/BH for its weight and then seem interested in a CTX 3030 which is even heavier.  You want gold but don't want to dig non-ferrous trash.  I've never heard of a detector that can distinguish between gold and lead or gold and aluminum.  Will there ever be one, and if so will it be coming soon?  "Maybe, and I doubt it" are my two answers to those two questions, respectively.  Possibly others disagree; I've been wrong before.

Joe Beachnut (who, BTW, does see "the huge draw" for the AQ and has proven his view with many hours in the water) gave a subtle but noteworthy piece of advice -- the detectorist plays a big role.

GB, you're right.  The CTX and the TDIBH both weigh exactly 5.2 LBS. In my eyes, if I'm swinging a brick, it might as well be one that's loaded with features. My point is that there is no redeeming quality that makes up for the weight - IN MY OPINION FOR MY USES - when it comes to the TDI. The CTX is arguably one of the most technologically advanced and feature-rich detectors to date. The TDIBH is none of those things (in my opinion). It's the best, newest, waterproofed version of very old technology.

You're right. Like I said, I gave my dream scenario for detecting, and asked "how close can I get to this in the current year". We don't have the technology yet, but the CTX TID seems to be the most advanced system available, which I think is the closest I would reasonably expect to get to my dream in 2020, I just wanted to confirm and see how people compare the NOX and CTX.

We can dream, right? I was also trying to figure out what improvements people are even expecting between what we have now with TID and the NOX and CTX and my "gold only" dream machine.

As I said, for my circumstances, with iron being only a fraction of the trash that I dig, a PI with intermediate iron discrimination settings doesn't give a "huge draw" for me. Maybe if I was hunting down the coast where they used to literally dump the iron garbage on the beach back in the day, but that's not where I hunt.

I have no personal attachment to detector brands or any such silliness like that. I'm just trying to find the best detector for myself that is available to purchase right now.

I'm assuming that you run a NOX based on your "gear used", what improvements are you looking for? More depth, more accurate discrim/TID? Are we just hoping for marginal upgrades in those categories for every new release? Or is there something groundbreaking that we are expecting on the horizon?

Curious what people are wanting for with their machines!

6 minutes ago, JesseAllen2 said:

I'm assuming that you run a NOX based on your "gear used", what improvements are you looking for? More depth, more accurate discrim/TID? Are we just hoping for marginal upgrades in those categories for every new release? Or is there something groundbreaking that we are expecting on the horizon?

Curious what people are wanting for with their machines!

Here's a recent (~month old) thread on the subject: