How Many On This Forum Have Used Or Still Use The Garrett Infinium ?

Mine has been retired now for a while, it was mainly used for beach detecting and was beginning to encounter wear related issues with coil plugs, pins, shielding etc.  The demise of our local Garrett dealer/service technician made things even more difficult, especially with regards to getting repairs done without having send the detector interstate.  Nothing worst than being down the beach at night for a big session, only to have reoccurring falsing issues crop up again.

Much prefer to go with a multi-frequency detector these days to avoid digging so many junk targets (did someone mention those annoying little bobby pins).

On 12/31/2020 at 9:17 AM, Dances With Doves said:

When I hip mounted the machine in the water the coil seemed to go bad much faster then having it  taped tight to the machine.Taping it made it much more stable.I   wonder if  Garrett would  replace The infinum   since they don't make it anymore  with a ATX at a discount price?

I just left the control pod mounted on an aftermarket straight shaft, as I initially had falsing issues from the coil picking up cable movement, lots of electrical tape fixed that problem.  Garrett should make a pair of cheap lightweight PI beach and prospecting detectors to replace the Infinium and Sea Hunter  The alternative is the heavy and expensive ATX which I would have thought it would have come down in price by now considering its age and competition from Minelab.    

I know Steve has actively called for a lightweight version of the ATX, though I don't think Garrett are listening. Maybe things might change since acquiring Whites. 

• Like 2

I also had mine mounted on a straight shaft with box mounted behind my elbow,  having the wire taped tight all along the shaft is the only way to go.

It has not seen any use after getting a TDI BH.

image.thumb.png.e96ba3e3a8d530fc04c141b4697bdcc6.png

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jim in ma said:

I also had mine mounted on a straight shaft with box mounted behind my elbow,  having the wire taped tight all along the shaft is the only way to go.

It has not seen any use after getting a TDI BH.

image.thumb.png.e96ba3e3a8d530fc04c141b4697bdcc6.png

Pretty much exactly the same setup as mine.  I had to laugh at the over usage of tape, but it was the only way to keep it the damned thing quiet.  Both my DD and large mono coil have gone to coil heaven, only the 8" mono has survived at this stage. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 8:38 AM, Goldpick said:

Pretty much exactly the same setup as mine.  I had to laugh at the over usage of tape, but it was the only way to keep it the damned thing quiet.  Both my DD and large mono coil have gone to coil heaven, only the 8" mono has survived at this stage. 

I also cut the ground wire from coil connector to pcb and wrapped the whole pcb in static shield and put back in housing. 

• Like 2

I wish the ATX circuit had been stuffed in the Infinium box instead. The Infinium had a lot to desire, especially the silly rod and mount setup, but it was still preferable to the overly heavy beast that ended up being the ATX. I know they could have gone either way at the time, and I was disappointed when they decided to use the Recon housing instead. I ran my Infinium hip mounted a lot - way better than seven ATX pounds on the arm!

steve-herschbach-garrett-infinium-moore-creek.jpg

• Like 2