Hello From South Texas!

Sun-Boy

So a big hello to everyone. I'm really new to all this, and have yet to do any detecting, I'm more into designing detectors than using them. I'm hoping to get feedback from the users here to help me refine my designs, I think I can develop some really useful and fun machines. I'm currently working on my first analog prototype, to be followed by a microprocessor controlled one. I'm integrating some features that I think are missing in most if not all the current designs, and am looking forward to hearing all your feedback, what you like, what you don't, what you can do without, etc. Don't know how often I'll be here, but I'll try to add to the conversation in a positive way when I am. Thanks folks, -SS

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Sun- Boy

I've called S.Texas home from time to time .

Believe it or not Pecos was my favorite !

Detector improvement ideas !hmmmmmmm yup yup  we got THOSE !

Many already posted and more arriving on track 14 b.

Read up on the forums you'll find plenty

Nowwwwwwww designing detectors but not into USING them ????? 

You'll drink the kool aid after being here for a while I'd guess .........Skuh kuh kuh kuh

Thanks for the welcome Pop,

I would love to hunt, I know of several places where I could get permission where there is silver, but having some physical problems limits what I can do.  So, being a tech I thought I would do the next best thing, (and it's fun), that's design up some cool detectors.

-S

Some of the classic analog machines to look at would the be the Tesoro units, Deeptech and Blisstool.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard the forum and I am sure that there are many people are here that will give you some great ideas like kac just did.

Welcome to the forum SB,

Your in the right state for detector design, since Garrett, and the now Garrett owned Whites brand are there too! Have you toured their factory to inspire design ideas? Are you an Engineer? Just curious as to the designer inclination! There are several of those who are members here, and probably can answer some of your questions!

Good luck, and enjoy the forum!👍👍

• Like 1

Geotech Forums is where those who build and design detectors hang out. The forum is owned by Carl Moreland, the author of the book you have and engineer currently at Fisher.

• Like 2

Thanks Joe,

No I haven't toured the Garrett facility, it's in Dallas and I'm in San Antonio, that's a long haul.  No I'm not an engineer, I'm an electronics tech, I've been in R&D for over 30 years, started as a bench tech building and troubleshooting analog and rf custom equipment.  I dabble with microcontrollers, but It's not what I'm best at, so my first system is analog, my next one will be based on an ARM Processor.  But back in the day the tech's did it all, the board design, the assembly, etc., and I got to work with some exceptional engineers.  Now I mostly do board design and mechanical design, using Altium Designer for pcb, and Solidworks for the mechanical.  Building electronics is my hobby, and I have some magnetics experience.  What really prompted me to develop a serious machine was seeing a lot of YouTube guys struggling with discrimination, especially gold and aluminum.  I'm probably going to start a thread and show my current design, I'm a little hesitant, (what if it ends up being junk, lol).  I'll try and talk myself into it, I can't show schematics but I think the boards and the mechanical will be fun for folks to see.

-S

PS:  And it's really neat that Carl M. owns this forum.

Thanks for the info SB,

Cool resume you have! I hope you can design one that hits it out of the park! Competition is always good for the market!

One small bit of info! Steve Herschbach is the sole owner and operator of this forum! And he does a stellar job!  I'm guessing that Carl Moreland owns the Geotech forum, from what Sven1 said!👍👍