My Grandsons Christmas Present....

Good luck on teaching him how to use the detector, but after you missing so many targets I think he has already got a handle on things.

Great job Mike,

I guess I'm going to have to hope for a grandkid(s) to teach! I didn't start back detecting soon enough for my kids to catch the detecting bug! They were too old, and no longer thought i was a cool dad!! 🤣 👍👍

• Haha 1

It is great that he has an interest at that age.

My soon to be 3 year old son has been out on the beach with me.  We've also detected one of his playgrounds and his friends grabbed a few coins that I found in the sand but he was ok with it.  I'm anxious to get him out to the desert but he likes the moon so that will be a bigger event for him than what is out there.  We'll get out there in a couple of years.

The one month old will just have to wait his turn.  haha

Mitchel

I started taking my kids detecting with me at an early age but neither one of them took up the hobby. One of them even found a 3 gram white gold band and I thought that they would be "hooked". I think that a passion for treasure hunting is almost something that you have to be born with- something in your DNA.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

It is great that he has an interest at that age.

My soon to be 3 year old son has been out on the beach with me.  We've also detected one of his playgrounds and his friends grabbed a few coins that I found in the sand but he was ok with it.  I'm anxious to get him out to the desert but he likes the moon so that will be a bigger event for him than what is out there.  We'll get out there in a couple of years.

The one month old will just have to wait his turn.  haha

Mitchel

I have fantastic memories with my daughter who I used to take all the time for detecting trips (when she was 8-14). She loved the Barstow and Randsburg area, but also Big Bear. I found my very first nugget together with her up in Holcomb Valley. I will have it put on a neckless and give it to her on her 18th birthday. These shared memories are worth so much more than all the gold I would ever find. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 7:30 PM, Mike(swWash) said:

I gotta work on his making a smaller hole and leaving no trace....

When you're done doing that, he can teach me.

• Haha 3

Plastic Frisbee, Put a hole in side to tie to clip with string... Glue a Magnet / s from an Old Comp. Harddrive in bottom. They are Strong. put soil / sand in. If any metal the Magnet / s will cath. Then dump back in Hole!  I usually cut around Top plug of grass before digging. flip over, then flip Back. Con'Gratz on the il one! A couple of Finds and Hooked they'll Be!

That's awesome, so much fun and making great memories!

My daughter will be 3 in May, so she's not quite ready, but in a couple of years I'm hoping she'll take to something like this:

mini_hoard_9.jpg