Was on my Oregon beach today Surf Perch fishing and met this guy who was building a whale out of driftwood.  He pegged all the pieces together with wood pins!  Kind of an environmentalist guy.  He is going to torch it off New Year's Eve.  Looks like a good place to detect the next day if all the people show up to watch it!  Too rough to catch anything.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

2030804873_SouthJettyWhale2.thumb.jpg.2ecddf91f36acf30602c1d9e96b212e8.jpg1273764755_SouthJettyWhale3.thumb.jpg.5d5faaac04455ccda7bb8305cc695d43.jpg

• Like 7

Looks like a good place to do some hunting with a detector, and some people like that guy knows why people burn his works of art. It don't look like no whale to me no matter what I am drinking.

The guy has some skills, I'd say! He could make a killing building furniture! As long as he doesn't "burn" through it too quickly!! 👍👍

• Haha 4

His first name isn't Noah is it?

Fyi, plastic bottles and duct tape will last longer 🙂

Actually his name is Raymond Block ( http://leavennotrace.org/ ).  He is kind of a one man band when it comes to the environment and trash pickup on Coastal 101, beaches and roads throughout the state.  You can usually see him single handed along all those roads picking up trash and depositing the secured up bags of trash along the roadside for the municipalities to dispose of.  When I took the picture his whale was only partially built and was quite a lot filled in when New Years Eve came.  On his website you can see it being torched and being pulled out to sea.  I did go down and do some detecting with my Impulse a couple of times after the first but did not come up with much.  A small metal cross, pieces of it's chain, some coins, sinkers, somebodies keys (old, not from this event), lots of nails all in the lower wet portion.  The sneaker waves and rolling logs in the surf made it difficult to concentrate with one eye on the ocean and one on your target.  Got soaked twice from the surges of rushing water which are on you in a second.  Never turn your back on an Oregon beach wave!!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 5

Heya Gary !

The wave do that here too !

I just got taller boots .....some of the guys even wear waders ! 

But they go in a lot deeper than me. I just wait for "minus" low tides....

A 10 to 12 foot tide here.

• Like 2