Snow Rake Handle For Sand Scoops

Kept snapping the wood handle I had for my sand scoop so I snagged a snow rake extension that has spring clips and insert for around $15. Now I can take the handle off so it fits in my car easier and should hold up well. It seems very sturdy with the ribbed walls. Overall length is cut to 48" including the scoop.

thumbnail_IMG_1359.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1360.jpg

• Like 2

I get slaughtered with shipping on long stock. Making a couple of foot diggers with fiberglass tubing and shipping was more than the tube. Up here in the north east the snow rake extensions are pretty easy to get and very cheap. Easy to cut with an ordinary hacksaw so figured I would post as it is easy for most to make.

Not as classsy as Steve G's graphite ones but when I get a pocket full of gold rings I might upgrade this 🙂

For my sand scoop I have used aircraft tubing as it is lighter weight but also stronger. I haven't bent it yet and it still looks new. Just a thought as you found a great way to do the job, and make it easier to collapse.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kac said:

I get slaughtered with shipping on long stock. Making a couple of foot diggers with fiberglass tubing and shipping was more than the tube. Up here in the north east the snow rake extensions are pretty easy to get and very cheap. Easy to cut with an ordinary hacksaw so figured I would post as it is easy for most to make.

Not as classsy as Steve G's graphite ones but when I get a pocket full of gold rings I might upgrade this 🙂

Cant u remove the handle on the scoop and put it on top of your handle to drag it easily??

RR

• 5 weeks later...

Got a chance to use it a few times and it works great. Pops apart nice to fit in the back of my car and fitting not too tight so it doesn't jam up from sand yet not too lose to wobble.

Very sturdy, no flex at all in the shaft and pretty light weight.

I have been carrying it like a walking stick on the shore with scoop up, found it to be easier than dragging it behind and having it fill with sand. The handle is just plastic on my scoop so no real way of attaching it there unless I put another connector.