I Pulled The Trigger..

Libertas

..and bought a used GPZ 7000. It will compliment my 4500, GM and Nox 800. Hopefully it will provide an edge on old hammered patches I know of. Guess I had better start lifting weights!

Any sage advice from the GPZ veterans here much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Like 6

Get a hip stick.

• Haha 1

Use it for awhile and get to know it’s language before you detour far from defaults. 

Boosters help. 

I found trolling through JP and Steve’s innumerable informative posts in this forum then cutting/pasting them into its own document under different headings was particularly useful. 

Good luck with it all 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

You have the same combination of detectors as I do, the GPZ is great and you'll be shocked the difference between it and your 4500.   I don't think it will complement your GPX 4500, you'll probably hardly ever use your 4500 ever again. 

Congratulations on your GPZ purchase.  There is endless information on the forum but it's so much easier to use and understand than the GPX anyway so I don't think you'll need to read too much before taking it out and finding some gold with it.

I've been watching every video I can find on it. Looks pretty simple to use compared to the 4500! 

8 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Get a hip stick.

I have used one for many years with bigger coils on the 4500. How does it compare to the included Pro Swing 45 harness?

I use a hip stick with my harness for the 5000.  It makes it 'weightless' as you know or your can rig it to be front heavy to the degree you like.  I don't use the swing arm and I don't know anyone that uses the arm AND the hip stick.  It just never occurred to me to ask but JP thinks coil control on the GPZ is right at the top of the list.

In the beginning of going back to your old beat up patches you'll find missed and unseen nuggets.  These are the 'easy' ones.  When you look at posts from Gerry, Lunk, JP and JW you'll see that they take it a step farther on the second or third time over the old patch WITH the GPZ.  They get the deep and subtle ones and then there are the 'other' coils available now which make the GPZ sound off differently.

Then you have HY normal/difficult/deep ... vs ... you'll be busy finding your favorite settings.

58 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I don't use the swing arm and I don't know anyone that uses the arm AND the hip stick

I do it religiously. Hipstick and swing arm works magic for me and this is the only way I can apply comfortable and strict coil control with the "beast" for many hours. I never use the GPZ without this combination. I use a camelback (Ambush or HAWG) for my hipstick attachment/hydration/storage. The only problem: the pick needs to be in the holster when I am searching for a target (I need a third arm!). That can be a bit heavy on the belt over time. But it's a small price to pay.

That being said, like with everything else, this is just my personal setup and what works for me might not work for others.  I used the Pro-Swing harness for a while but it makes me uncomfortable, clumsy and sweaty while digging,  especially in the heat. Also, I can't easily put a hydration pack on top of the harness without killing my mobility completely. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

I do it religiously. Hipstick and swing arm works magic for me and this is the only way I can apply comfortable and strict coil control with the "beast" for many hours. I never use the GPZ without it. I use a camelback (Ambush or HAWG) for my hipstick attachment/hydration/storage. The only problem: the pick needs to be in the holster when I am searching for a target (I need a third arm!). That can be a bit heavy on the belt. But it's a small price to pay.

That being said, like with everything else, this is just my personal setup and what works for me might not work for others.  I used the Pro-Swing harness for a while but it makes me uncomfortable, clumsy and sweaty while digging,  especially in the heat.

I solved this issue many years ago. I have always had a very big shovel style pick that was awkward to wear on a belt. I enclosed a large super magnet on the right shoulder strap of my backpack with duct tape so I can place the pick on my shoulder and it stays in place until I need it. I put some foam padding under duct tape on the pick handle for more comfort. The super magnet on top of the pick helps keep it in place as well. 

NUATA3Ll.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1