New Prototype Detector - My First Analog Attempt

Sun-Boy 

Seems like you have a pretty good handle on your design and implementation! I don't think any of us could have guessed you were so far along on your prototype when you got here! Congratulations! I really like the carbon fiber over the aluminum! Keep up the good work, and keep us posted! Interesting to have a window into the birth of a new detector design! Thanks for sharing!👍👍

There is also Shapeways, might be a bit more competitive to 3d Hubs. When 3d Hubs first started it was everyone under the sun with a 3d printer then they tightened up the requirements for quality assurance and now it seems only the big shops are supplying.

You could check out Stratasys directly for fdm part they offer printing services. Alternatively if you don't require high temp fdm parts like the nylon series you can take a look at the Flashforge units. They have a dual extruder for $879 delivered and upgradable to high temp. Dual extruder so you can print a pva support material to prevent your part from distorting or failing during the print process.

I'm pretty good at spending other peoples money 🙂

Yeah Joe, I've been dabbling with the design for several years, it's just now gotten to this point, you know, life happens, you step away from it, may not get back to it for months or years.  I can't do everything else I used to, but this thankfully is keeping my brain busy.  And I'm surprised how light the parts are coming out, aluminum is really pretty, and I wanted to go with it, but the price is just to high.

I haven't used Shapeways, but I'll definitely look into them and get a quote on my next parts.  Yeah I used 3d Hubs when it was folks in there garages and you didn't always get what you were expecting, but I knew that going in, so I would take my warped coil forms and do my best with them, lol.  I'm not interested in 3d printing enough to  buy one, I know me, I'll do a few prints and then the machine will sit idle, better to send out for my parts.

I've gotten my mechanical parts in for the housings, and interconnects, as well as the new main electronics pcb, I'll update the thread later tonight with some new pic's.  Still waiting on my components from Digikey, and then the soldering begins again.

A buddy of mine who is a software guy, really expert with embedded micro's dropped by yesterday, he wanted to see how it was going.  I walked him through the design, and he gave some idea's, I was amazed at how well the unit would see his gold wedding band.

...so it continues, hope to upload some pic's tonight...

• Like 1

As an electronics engineer, I have to say your project is very neat and well planned.

Are you a member of Carl & George's "Geotech1 Forum" ? It's a useful resource, if nothing else, and there's always the angry Lithuanian/Bulgarian/ etc guys to keep the place entertaining.

Re: the coil. I would advise designing your machine to work with a known good commercial coil, then when you're confident it's working OK, consider making your own coil. Your chances of success are much improved that way.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, PimentoUK said:

As an electronics engineer, I have to say your project is very neat and well planned.

Are you a member of Carl & George's "Geotech1 Forum" ? It's a useful resource, if nothing else, and there's always the angry Lithuanian/Bulgarian/ etc guys to keep the place entertaining.

Re: the coil. I would advise designing your machine to work with a known good commercial coil, then when you're confident it's working OK, consider making your own coil. Your chances of success are much improved that way.

I second Pimento's call out of the Geotech forum as a tremendous resource for detector DIY'ers.

• Like 2

Getting some parts in:

Display housing, main pcb and other miscellaneous parts.

IMG_1032.jpg.819ec7bbd479cc652887af104ac75e24.jpg

Display housing parts and display pcb

IMG_1031.jpg.0b12d7b3deb06261a0a83270640a6f30.jpg

Display board in housing

IMG_1030.jpg.e2e42859a4b7045de02112939d367db3.jpg

Internal frame to hold pcb, batteries, and other connectors

IMG_1034.jpg.875bdc77fcc3792d5fa6f454b9bf4162.jpg

Inserted into the carbon fiber housing, with front feet attached

IMG_1037.jpg.69f99643b7fd228c7e979687fdeb139f.jpg

Display frame laying on top of the main tube housing

IMG_1038.jpg.b179b6488ab43c9a68d6ade516310bda.jpg

Coil form

IMG_1035.jpg.263e1fb7dba37d51688b15854b1f09e5.jpg

Wire attachment area and cover

IMG_1036.jpg.4e41cd31e8b4fd6cadb1e7425b20171c.jpg

Spent some time today cutting carbon fiber tube, doing a little spray painting, nothing major.  I'm not looking forward to cutting out the openings on the tubing without a decent mill or cutting tool, only two of the drilled holes will be showing, everything else will be covered by frames, so no jagged holes will be showing - but this stuff isn't the easiest material to work with.

About Carl and George's Geotech1 Forum, is it on this forum somewhere?  I would like to check it out.

...we'll see if I'm able to get anything done tomorrow...

• Like 3

SB,

Minelab could take a lesson from you on how to beef up their coil ears! All the parts look great!👍👍