Stone Id: Are These Limestones?

Hello guys. I'm setting up a 50 gallon aquarium that reflect the local landscape (I live in the UAE, where there are tons of limestones and granites along the hajjar mountains, from my understanding these are mostly sedimentary rocks). I've found a few good stones here (in the pic) in my last hiking trip.

https://imgur.com/ZxBgkwv 

In the vinegar (6% acid) test on them, there was some fizz but only minor and in corrosive areas. There is a common talk among aquarium folks that limestones leach heavy metals and alter PH/Hardness of the water. These usually come from people who aren't really geologists - I was looking for some reliable info on how likely the water (my tap water ph is 7.6-7.8, water hardness 4.0 dgH, carbonate hardness 4.0 dkH) will undergo changes? I do understand it may happen given the aqaurium water ph can fluctuate slightly but shouldn't this take a very, very long time? I would highly appreciate any expert advice on this.

It does not take long at all for limestone to alter the ph of an aquarium as it's reactive to any acids in the tank.  Think fish urine.  Small lime stones dont tend to cause a problem but large amounts can make ph control impossible and that often leads to sever problems with biologic s~ fungus, algae and some parasites.  This is why aquarium owners avoid lime stone.  You'll be better served with quartz, hard granites and some schists if you want to decorate.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, DDancer said:

This is why aquarium owners avoid lime stone. 

You are so correct about that and it can also kill some fish in a tank. I have always stayed away from anything limestone in my tanks.

If in doubt dont,i have kept fish for over 50+ years and if i have had any doubts and it may harm any of the fish then its not used how ever pretty the rocks are.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Yellowstone
      Found this in waterline today with AQ. Bone or ivory with lead tip.  Really stumped 🤔 
      Any help greatly appreciated 

• By Againstmywill
      Out to a local park today. About the 3rd dig along a walking path there was a 26-27 I'd on the Equinox. Maybe a couple dimes, a quarter and nickel together, or...a silver pendant! Anyone have an idea what the stone might be, assuming it is a stone and not plastic? 
      Park 1, all metal, 7 recovery, 15" coil

• By F350Platinum
      Decided to visit the river this morning, over the weekend I got permission to search the steamboat landing near my house. It was my 61st birthday Sunday, and the permission came in the morning. My wife got me a Predator Barracuda shovel! What a day. Of course it rained all Sunday.
      Just threw some high insulated boots on, it's cold out but not freezing, about 40. Not five minutes in the water and I got a solid 14/15 with the Equinox in Beach 2, all metal. Tried out my CooB sand scoop, and the result is this about 1/2 inch paper thin round object, this is exactly how it came out of the water.

• By SlowFrog
      Hi all!

I found this with my metal detecting pinpointer in a park here in the UK. It was just beneath the soil (about an inch down). I couldn't believe the strength of the signal given how tiny it is (maybe 4mm on the longest side). I initially thought it was iron or lead but after closer inspection - I have absolutely no idea!

It's 0.24g, and doesn't react at all to a very strong neodymium magnet. It does however make my pinpointer scream from an inch away! Any ideas?

Cheers,
      John

• By calabash digger
      EL NINO sent me this link.. Looks like it to me what do you guys think???

• By Jessefortoday12
      I found this in a creek East of Jackson Mississippi. It was 3 kilos. There is iron ball on it and a section that looks like a peice of metal crashed on the side also has a shape of a bullet or a shoe.