Celtic Gold Hoard Found

Thanks for the story Steve, we should all be so lucky to find such a find.

I just wonder if I need to start using binoculars while swinging my 800?

• Like 1

I wonder when the find was made ... which month I mean.  Would he keep it secret for a few weeks or months?

On 12/31/2020 at 8:57 PM, mn90403 said:

I wonder when the find was made ... which month I mean.  Would he keep it secret for a few weeks or months?

Or years...................................

RR

RR,

Do you just run out onto a field without permission and haul away 'stuff' and expect to keep it?

What if the farmer said "You weren't 'bird watching' as much as you were watching me plow my field and you had no 'right' to go out there and take my coins without permission."

Mitchel

Absolutely outstanding find,cannot beat finding full and quarter gold staters,found a similar hoard about 6 years ago but only 20 full staters which was Whadam Chase variations of the coins.These 20 coins had been been found in a very tight 75ft radius which indicates a scattered pot hoard rather than say a purse drop,alas we never did locate the pot/container or what ever the coins had been in and alas we never will as the farmer sold the land and the new owner wont allow anyone to detect.

he heading in the Daily Mail story mentions it was found by bird watchers which of course still requires the farmers/landowners permission on the land in the first place,public footpaths can of course run through such private land but if you are neither given permission initially from the land owner or you venture onto the land off the footpath then you are basically trespassing.

The trouble is that the Daily Mail is possibly not the most reliable source of decent reliable news and i would take some of the comments with a slight pinch of salt.Still a absolutely stunning find and possibly one of the top finds of 2020 as most detectorists or even bird watchers have been in lockdown mode for most of the year and currently still are.

Happy New Year to all members of Detector Prospector.

• Like 5