A Way To Secure Or Monitor Remote Mining Equipment

jasong

• The title was changed to A Way To Secure Or Monitor Remote Mining Equipment

I've been using Reolink Argus wireless cameras with solar for around the house for a few years now without any issues with battery etc. Good set up with alerts straight to my phone wherever I am with both cloud & onboard storage. 

Had wondered how the Reolink GO would perform as an option in remote areas with no wifi so thanks for the write up.

• Like 1

I bought an Argus PT wireless for my house in Wyoming too along with this GO 4G for my remote property. It's been standing up to the Wyoming 50-90mph wind gusts, snow, and frigid temperatures so far. My only complaint is the mounting bracket is a bit flimsy for my climate so I'll probably dip it in epoxy or something. The GO bracket is burly metal, much better. But it's awesome being 1000 miles away and being able to spin the camera around and look at everything in my yard, the mountain, the river, roads, my trailers, and the UPS guy drop punting my packages to my door. Kidding, my UPS guy is awesome. 🙂

Being able to check on stuff when I am out of state really puts my mind at ease and lowers my anxiety level so much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Really cool technology! Now we just need Starlink to get up and running so we can keep an eye on our patches where there's no cell service! 😏

• Like 1

Heck yeah, I can't wait for Starlink to get to other latitudes. I applied for the Beta last year but I think I was just barely too far south in Wyoming.

You can see the Starlink satellite trains spreading out in the sky by eye if it's nice and dark. Sooo cool. 

I'm fascinated with space travel, I think it's so incredibly cool we have a private industry launching literal rockets into space and putting their own satellites up. 

Totally unrelated to security cams, but here's a cool timelapse of SpaceX launching a Starlink rocket at dusk. It's not exploding, what's happening is the rocket was launched at dusk and reaches an elevation where the sun is still visible, and so from the ground we see the reflection of the sun off the rocket's exhaust plume.

And here is one of a train of Starlink satellites spreading out into orbit from a SpaceX rocket

Sometimes I hate the time period I live in. Sometimes I love it. This stuff is so fascinating to see happening. SpaceX is also actively testing a freaking rocket for the public to hitch hike to space on. Right now!

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Whoa!!! Are they really THAAAT bright at the right times?! I've witnessed a couple satellites from the desert which I thought were starlink just because they were moving along so close right behind each other, but not nearly that bright. It's so cool the way the plumes look when they launch at those times of day. I got to see one of the SpaceX plumes from near the coast of Southern California and back in 2012 I saw one from Afghanistan that was probably a failed Russian rocket launch because it began smooth like the SpaceX one above but spiralled into oblivion seconds later 😂 Still pretty neat, we all thought it was a UFO at the time but later I found a video on YT of someone filming the same thing from Syria.

• Like 1

I saw a Starlink train in Wyoming and it wasn't that bright. I think this guy's camera puts halos around them and makes them look bigger. Or maybe he was directly under them? No idea.

Makes me wonder if the concept of a "cell phone" might be on it's way out eventually. A Starlink enabled phone-like device, if they make such a thing eventually, would render 4G/5G traditional phones kind of anachronistic at that point. We could use a Starlink phone/internet  anywhere from the top of Everest to Antarctica.

Makes me wonder if he might set his sights on Verizon/ATT here soon, and the phone market, if Starlink is successful.

My short to do list is going to see a SpaceX launch in person sometime. I'd love to see one of the dusk ones. I dreamed of working for NASA when I was a kid, it was a sad day when we cut funding so severely to our space exploration programs. Elon Musk can be an eccentric character, but I admire him being an ultra billionaire that actually does something real and new with his money instead of just dumping it into the stock market like every other mega billionaire these days.

• Like 1

There was concern about the affect Starlink satellites would have on astronomy but I think at least some of that has been allayed by an agreement to minimize their impact.  (I don't think 'minimize' means zero impact, though....)

Of all the things we have that are better than our prehistoric ancestors, a dark sky is a big one they had that we've lost.

(Hope this isn't too far Off Topic....)

• Like 2