Calabash You Have Set A New Standard For Depth On Silver Dimes

14" on a silver dime is the new standard. 10" was the standard and now it's 14".

In Calabash's test videos:

Anfibio hits it hard.

Equinox hits it hard.

Xp Deus a weak hit.

Detectors are getting better. A new standard to hit or break for new detectors in 2021.

• Like 1

• Steve Herschbach changed the title to Calabash You Have Set A New Standard For Depth On Silver Dimes

Really depends on the ground conditions and frequency. I find 14khz is a good start and not sure why the Deus with an x35 11" coil couldn't do just as well as my MK with superfly coil.

If the ground is wet or damp here and I have moderate to high mineralization 14" is easy. Bone dry ground with very little mineralization or moderate the signal tends to be weaker. Not sure how detector specific that would be other than frequency used.

Thx - ok those were over 2 years ago.  Not exactly a "new" standard.  I've hit nickels at 15" at the beach with the Nox which is basically what Calabash has in his yard.  It's mild sandy soil.  Thanks for the links.  Calabash didn't hang on to the Anfibio due to the weight and balance.  Great depth performance.  Limited recovery speed, 3 tone mode has fastest recovery but as you can see you trade depth, but unlike Deus and Equinox, you can't adjust recovery speed independent of the tone mode setting.  Really looking forward to what Nokta does next post-Simplex.

22 minutes ago, Redneck said:

I watched one of Cals videos where some feller sent him some nasty Pennsylvania dirt. The nox and deus could not hit a quarter at 8" in that stuff.   Some dirt has its limits.  

Actually the Deus hit it just fine.  I hunt with Deus and Nox in hot VA and PA dirt extensively.  Both detectors handle hot dirt well and I have the finds to prove it.  The setup Calabash used with the Nox that day seemed flawed.  In that situation, he probably would have smacked that coin with the Equinox in single frequency (especially with the "new" 4 khz update) or a tweaked field 2 setup (ground balance also seemed off).  That dirt wasn't all that hot, BTW.  Where I hunt, Deus and Nox (and Tarsacci which has similar good, hot dirt performance) can be limited to about 4 - 6 inches under worst case soil conditions.

Someday, I'll get my act together and do a controlled field test between all three of the above detectors at a hot soil relic site and video the results.

BTW that PA dirt video is here:

OK found the third video Rick was referring to - it was actually Orx not Deus.

Details matter.  It was not really an apples to apples comparison because he was using the HF coil which is limited to 13-14 khz minimum and 9" diameter which puts it at a severe depth disadvantage compared to Anfibio and Nox with their 11" coils and Anfibio operating at 5 khz.

• Like 1

Thanks Chase.

I didn't see that the Anfibio was at 5 khz and you're right coil sizes. I would have liked to have seen it in the other frequencies.

Ground is important. I'm basing the 14" test on mild ground. I should have said that. I don't know what the standard is for bad ground. My ground is mild and detector depth is what I like to see.

I remember a 6" dime was a good test and then 10" so what's next. I water hunt mostly so it is important for me. My lakes are all sand and I need a detector that goes deep.

53 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Thanks Chase.

I didn't see that the Anfibio was at 5 khz and you're right coil sizes. I would have liked to have seen it in the other frequencies.

Ground is important. I'm basing the 14" test on mild ground. I should have said that. I don't know what the standard is for bad ground. My ground is mild and detector depth is what I like to see.

I remember a 6" dime was a good test and then 10" so what's next. I water hunt mostly so it is important for me. My lakes are all sand and I need a detector that goes deep.

Rick - Steve H. says this a lot and it is true.  Depth really is not a differentiator on the state of the art VLF metal detectors - in other words, we have basically reached the practical depth limit of VLF induction balance technology and that actually happened several years ago.  Depth capability is now driven primarily by the coil choice and and the operating frequency, not the detector technology per se.   Under nominal soil conditions, just about every decent VLF detector released in the last few years including Vanquish and Simplex will get about the same raw detection depth as any of the "big boys" like Equinox, Deus, Anfibio, Impact, and even the older stalwarts like the the F75, T2, eTrac/CTX, and White MXT and the Spectras driven primarily by the coil (10 to 11" nominal diameter) and within the range of "normal" general purpose detecting frequencies (4 to 14 khz).  ID depth is a different matter and sometimes that CAN be differentiated by the subtleties of the detector's signal processing capabilities.

• Like 4