I've Finally Joined The Big League!

Erik, I know very little about where you live and want to hunt, but I have a good feeling that when you go looking for the gold, you will find it. Remember that all the gold that you find has your name on it.

Good luck and happy hunting.

• Thanks 1

I hiked at Mount Bartle Frere East Trail Head many years ago. The district has gold history but I would not put in on your list as  I drove from Cairns did the climb and return back to Cairns in the late afternoon. From what I saw it is very dense and steep in that area. QLD guide below and the Mt hold the record for rainfall in Aust. I would look for historical sites that are relatively flat and dry.

Climb to the summit of Queensland's highest mountain (1,622m) provides a challenging way to explore this part of the World Heritage-listed rainforest of the Bellenden Ker Range. This is not a race, so allow yourself two days to walk (recommended), climb and enjoy this trail. The fabulous summit views include the township of Innisfail and the coast to the east, and to the west, the undulating landscape of the Atherton Tableland.

Climate. Although no rain gauge exists on the mountain, data at nearby Mount Bellenden Ker suggest an annual average rainfall of around 8,000 millimetres (310 in), and an estimated potential maximum as high as 17,000 mm (670 in), both of which would make the mountain one of the wettest places in the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geof_junk said:

which would make the mountain one of the wettest places in the world.

With all the rain over the last week it feels like Magnetic Island is the wettest place in the world right now.. I've had a hunt in the Bartle Frere area with my Foxy Noxy whilst my son runs his sluices.. You're spot on in saying the area is very dense with rainforest and very steep.. We figured this might stop other prospectors from looking too hard in this area but it does get pretty daunting.. I like your advice to try some flatter and less vegetated areas further west in better known historical gold sites.. Thanks..

• Like 2