No Silver Or Just Missing It?

I am new to detecting but have about 400 hours of YouTube detecting experience 😁. I got my equinox 800 about 3 weeks ago and have dug at 3 places old school (war nickel and wheat penny),  60’s abandoned house (clad dime and memorial copper penny} and an old farm house/boarding house built in 1890’s ( GOLD ring, Mercury dime, 4 Buffalo nickels, 1 war nickel, 8 1945-48 nickels, 35 wheat pennies and 5 memorial pennies. I am very very happy with my less than 1 month of digging but somehow I feel I’m missing silver at the old farm house. With that many coins from to 30’s and 40’s and only one Mercury dime and 1 silver nickel I’m not sure but wanted opinions as to what I am missing or is it just coincidental that no silver is popping up. I’m running park 1, all defaults with noise cancel and ground balanced out except yesterday I slowed recovery to 4 and decreased FE to 4. Thanks for the add and looking forward to suggestions. Tony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Downs said:

I am new to detecting but have about 400 hours of YouTube detecting experience 😁. I got my equinox 800 about 3 weeks ago and have dug at 3 places old school (war nickel and wheat penny),  60’s abandoned house (clad dime and memorial copper penny} and an old farm house/boarding house built in 1890’s ( GOLD ring, Mercury dime, 4 Buffalo nickels, 1 war nickel, 8 1945-48 nickels, 35 wheat pennies and 5 memorial pennies. I am very very happy with my less than 1 month of digging but somehow I feel I’m missing silver at the old farm house. With that many coins from to 30’s and 40’s and only one Mercury dime and 1 silver nickel I’m not sure but wanted opinions as to what I am missing or is it just coincidental that no silver is popping up. I’m running park 1, all defaults with noise cancel and ground balanced out except yesterday I slowed recovery to 4 and decreased FE to 4. Thanks for the add and looking forward to suggestions. Tony

With only three weeks in I would say you doing great! Congrats on the finds and the new detector.

You are finding typical stuff...most of the silver has been taken by detectorists long before...just keep hunting and you will find more. 

strick 

• Like 1

In my limited experience, houses/homes can be all over the map.

1) Did people spend time outside?  Were there shade trees -- see if you can find where they were?  Was there a garden?

2) Did children play with coins (if so, likely pennies).

3) How soon did they get indoor plumbing?

4) Did they hang clothes on a clothesline (if so, fantastic place to search for coins -- pennies and dimes in particular)?

5) Did they park the car in the driveway or in a garage?  Driveways can be quite good but be careful recovering if they are crushed stone or gravel as digging that can cause your tool to slide into and mar a coin.

I had a 19th Century home that produced hardly any old coins.  I had an early 20th Century house that produced a lot, including several dimes.  I had a late 1950's / early 60's home that got me my still best penny (1924-D) -- pretty sure that was dropped by kids playing adults (i.e. exchanging money = pennies) as I only got Wheat pennies (no silver) and Memorial pennies & clad from that site.

My four year data say I get about 1 silver dime for every 10 Wheat pennies.  Since copper pennies and dimes (both silver and clad) give similar VDI's it's not very likely that someone has cherry picked the dimes and left the pennies.

• Like 2