1715 Era Navigation Chart Dividers Found On Treasure Beach

That is a great find!!! Much better than silver.  Just goes to show you how much the sand shifts to expose that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 5:01 PM, FloridaSon said:

Found two documents one by J. Clausen, archie that worked with state and on several sites including the Winter Beach Survivors camp and a “1715 Treasure Ship”; the other by a private collector, Lou Ullian.

I doubted a relic could win Steve's upcoming monthly finds contest but this proves me wrong.  Wow, just wow!

Does it look as though the (missing) pointed tips were replaceable or do you think they were permanent and broke off?

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Does it look as though the (missing) pointed tips were replaceable or do you think they were permanent and broke off?

Good question, should have taken a picture of that. Several old pictures show a replaceable tip made of steel but that would have rusted away long ago. But several papers mention a joint to connect the tips similar to a locking scarf joint in woodworking. But the divider legs are broken right through without any evidence of a joint. When I saw what I had I was worried I did it with my scoop but the brass/bronze break was not shiny new looking. Hope that helps. Thanks for looking!

• Like 1