I've Been Killing It On Super Deep Silver

longbow62

9 hours ago, longbow62 said:

Should Park2 be better in hotter soils? Does Park1 actually hit silver better? Would turning iron bias up in Park1 alleviate some falsing on deep iron without crippling hearing deep silver? My Iron Bias in F2 is usually left between 0-2. Mostly 0.

Park 2 is no better or worse than any other mode in hot soils.  All the modes become limited in depth in hot soils.  Theoretically, lower frequencies penetrate further overall but I have really not found any mode on Equinox that is preferred in hot dirt. so I set my mode based on my target objective - which is typically relics, so I am usually hunting in Field 2 because it is higher weighted in frequency and better suited to mid-conductive relic targets like brass. lead, and the occasional gold coin or nickel.  But I have also found plenty of old silver in Field 2 as well.

Park1 theoretically hits silver better (than Park 2) because it is weighted towards lower frequencies, but the fact is that since all the modes are multifrequency, they can all theoretically hit targets across the conductivity spectrum.  The deepest mode from a silver perspective should be 4 khz single frequency but it comes with a lot of other baggage like EMI susceptibility and the iron bias feature is disabled in single frequency.  I would stick with Park 1 for silver slaying or 2-tone Field 1.

Regarding Iron Bias - I prefer F2.  I usually just run it at the default of 6.  It can help reduce falsing, and tests by users have shown little risk of inadvertent masking of non-ferrous targets even at higher settings, so give it a shot if you are really having falsing issues.

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks I will up the iron bias number in F2 and see what happens. I still can't figure out why in the Park I was talking about Park2 works better or appears to work better than Park1 on the deep silver dimes. Today my only silver was this Walking Liberty half dollar. Park1, F2-1, Sens. 22, Recovery 5. GB 12. Very impressive depth.

20210105_150916_resized.jpg

20210105_151001_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Super nice half dollar find!  I'm envious.

IMO the best settings are the ones that are working.  But also good to experiment and seek advice as you are doing.  The Minelab Equinox has so many settings compared to most detectors.  That allows you to go both directions -- finding ones that work better but also others that work worse.  And in between there are many that don't seem to have any effect for the particular site and target(s).  Site is a big variable and optimal settings for one site (or even part of one site) may not be for another.

Something I do is hunt with a certain mode+settings and then when I get an interesting target (or even an uninteresting one 😁), I switch to other mode(s) and see how they respond before I dig.  That's pretty easy if you want to switch to a different mode (same or different settings) or same mode (same settings) with different frequency.  You can also change one setting variable (e.g. recovery speed or iron bias) but don't forget to change it back.  If you want to use the same mode but have multiple things you'd like different you can take advantage of the User Profile memory location.  So for example if you are searching in park 1, Recovery Speed 4, Iron Bias F2=4 and wonder what Park 1 (i.e. same mode), Recovery Speed 6, Iron Bias F2=0 gives just save the latter settings in User Profile.  Of course it's better to have just one setting different because when you see a difference in signal you won't know which settings variable (or combination of settings variables) led to that difference.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

IMO the best settings are the ones that are working.

This is an important point. One I forgot to make in my previous response.  You apparently are doing well with whatever settings you are using so don’t mess with success by over tweaking things.  If my recommended iron bias setting doesn’t help (with falsing) or makes things worse, dial back to your previous settings.

• Like 1

I wanted to try Park1 today with a higher Iron Bias setting at this park I find really deep dimes in. This is not the site the Walker came from where I have been finding most of my silver lately. That site is pure sand. This park is heavy clay. So in Park1 with iron bias low constant falsing on deep nails. Turn up the iron bias and no diggable deep signals I could find. Now this will have to be explored further at a later date when I have more time. Anyway being short on time I went back to Park2 re-GB'ed, iron bias F2-1, recovery 6. It seemed like immediately I started hitting a few deep Wheat cents. It took awhile but I did get over a deep silver dime signal. Before I dug this I should have tried it in Park1, but I didn't even think about it. It was not quite as deep as I normally dig them so it might not have been the best to compare Park1 and Park2 with.

20210106_161637_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting and consistent with me and several other salt beach hunters preferring Beach 2 with IB on. Could it be the “2” modes allow the NOX to run a little more quieter (not sure if that or balanced is the right word) and allow targets we seek to be heard more clearly?

On 1/2/2021 at 7:13 PM, longbow62 said:

In the last week I have found 12 silver coins at some incredible depths with the Equinox 800. Dimes, quarters, and wheat cents at up to 12". Both Park1 and Park2 have been used depending on the soil. I think Park1 may be a little deeper than Park2. Regardless of which Park program I use I run Iron Bias in F2-0-1, Multi 5 tones, Recovery 4, Sensitivity 22-24 if EMI is low, but even at 20 I have achieved some incredible depths. I've had buddies swing over these with Etrac's and CTX's with large coils and they can't touch some of these deep coins. One buddy used his Etrac, Deus, and Anfibio and was skunked on the deep silver at this place.   

Excellent!!! Nice recoveries.

Thanks for posting the 800's settings.  I have yet to use the 800... have to wait until the ground thaws..

I've had luck finding silver on old farm sites with the E-Trac and small coils (8x6 or 5"). If I remember right, the deepest silver found with either of those was at about 8". There's a lot of iron trash to work around. The large coils collect dust.

All I know is the beauty of the Nox is the ability to switch modes to find the one that works the best. Plus the ability to tweak each mode to see if they can be improved further. I have used Park2 as my main mode for a long time, and for example the park with the clay soil it seems to be best for me. Had I not experimented with Park1 at the site with the sandy soil I'm positive I would have missed some finds. I found silver with Park2 there, but once I switched to Park1 I found more and deeper targets.