Kruzer Notching With Iron Audio On Notch Values

As many users of the Kruzer series may find the 4 tone mode really limited because it is so noisy and hard to follow. I personally rarely notch out targets and even keep my iron audio low but always audible but there are some really tough spots. In particular spots like camp sites or where there were bonfires and lots of burned up can slag, bottle caps etc.

I took the 4 tone mode and notched out everything except known or metal ranges of known target id types. I then use under the iron audio the N# values. This allows you to still get an audio response on the notched targets but much softer. N1 or N2 seem more than enough. Known targets will be reveled very quickly because they will be louder and clearer. Base setting below and needs a bit tweaking but happy so far.

thumbnail_IMG_1368.jpg

• Like 3

That should work pretty well for cleaner targets. You will probably be limiting masked targets to a broken/clipped response.

The best thing I have learned on my Anfibio Multi is to just reduce the Gain on busy ground or for EMI. After quite a lot of testing/experimenting in the test garden & in the field I lost my fear of missing something if not running it hot. The factory preset gain of 70 is surprisingly deep. With the 9.5X5 DD or 7in concentric it will hit a 6+ inch coin size target. That is deeper and just as quiet as 3DI @ 89 Gain. The real benefit is you can hear what the detector is telling you.You also get more nuance in the tones. It is no longer overwhelmed with "noise". I had it backwards; I was missing things because they got lost in the high gain noise. The more difficult the site, the more important it is to find an efficient signal balance. @cjc's book help a lot for me. I have also found a lot of benefits in the Beach mode's filtering for Iron ridden or wet ground sites.   Your Kruzer should respond very similarly.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Kruzer Notching With Iron Audio On Notch Values

I do that on my Impact in my 20 kHz Deep mode.   Deep mode is a two tone VCO mode.  I notch out high conductors and assign them the N tone iron tone, then change the N tone pitch to 700HZ.   I disc the iron range I really want to disc out.  

That gives me a low tone below the tone break, a VCO tone above the tone break and a 700 HZ solid high tone for high conductors.

I like it.  I think it works better for high conductors than down in the mid range.

Mike

• Like 2

I set my tone breaks under normalized scale to junk targets, ie foil and degraded zinc penny. I used to use the standard scale which I prefer on 19khz but if I change frequencies such as hunting on beaches from dry to wet sand the numbers were bit tough to keep track of.

For gain I usually run it with what the ground allows and density of targets, ie quiet open areas I will run it in the 90's and trashy areas in the 70's.

4 tone was always a bit of a useless mode for me because the audio was just sour to me. Keep in mind I'm happy with single tone machines :). Rather than do the usual notch of trash and have the rest of the audio be loud I notched it all out to subdue the audio only allowing (cherry picking) known target types and metal ranges.

I did tweak what you see and plan on hitting a fire pit at local beach where there is gobs of b-caps and can slag/slaw. Gave it a run through a camp site and though I didn't find anything good other than a couple pennies it was much more tolerable. It is a small area and probably picked clean as Buddies and I had hit it quite a few times.

I do agree it works better on high conductors but did allow for nickels, beaver tails and wedding bands so it might do ok.

If the tides are in line with my waking hours and not too brutal out I'll  hit it this weekend.

• Like 1

The customability of NoktaMakro and other newer machines is what makes them so great for me. They are capable of detecting almost any site. I guess this trend was started by XP with the Deus. The limiting factor is me, the operator. Your thinking outside of the box encourages me to beware of getting in a rut.

• Like 2

I had it backwards; I was missing things because they got lost in the high gain noise. The more difficult the site, the more important it is to find an efficient signal balance. @cjc's book help a lot for me. 

That's good advice JCR!  It's like once you get up towards 90 everythingis clipping down and harder to hear--not easier. 

cjc

• Like 2

The stock MK coil is very sensitive and I rarely ran it above 89. I'm using the Nel Superfly now and find I can push the machine more with less chatter. Now that I have better stability with 2 tone, more depth on 3 tone, calmed 4 tone down and beach and deep run fine for what they are my only beef is how quickly the id's drop in Gen mode when you can still hear an obvious target. I am comparing the Gen mode on on the MK to the Gold Racer's All metal mode which the id's and audio match up ie: no id no audio response.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kac said:

The stock MK coil is very sensitive and I rarely ran it above 89. I'm using the Nel Superfly now and find I can push the machine more with less chatter. Now that I have better stability with 2 tone, more depth on 3 tone, calmed 4 tone down and beach and deep run fine for what they are my only beef is how quickly the id's drop in Gen mode when you can still hear an obvious target. I am comparing the Gen mode on on the MK to the Gold Racer's All metal mode which the id's and audio match up ie: no id no audio response.

The Anfibio has the same TID limits in GenD mode. That is my one disappointment with the unit. If I want to run All Metal on a site I will use the AT Max with Iron audio on. Very deep & IDs stay almost to the audio limit.

• Like 1

Update on notches. I went through my collection of oldies and allowed them while keeping majority of the junk out.

Again this is more intented for campsites where there is a lot of burned cans and can slaw so I am sure I may miss some gold. Will test this weekend hopefully.169632795_4tonenotch.jpg.aee7eb80771e0cef0a17b656b4f98f86.jpg

• Like 3

Gold Kruzer would be nice if it had notching.

• Like 1