Kruzer Notching With Iron Audio On Notch Values

That looks like a fair idea, I'm going to give that a run when my ground dry's out or decides to thaw a little. Seems to be a good cherry picking weapon for new park hunts.

• Like 1

Did get a chance to use it in 4 tone over the fire pit areas at the beach and did squeak out a clad dime and penny so it does work well. Finding though at the beach I had to manually ground balance a lot on all my settings except beach mode.

Not being a huge fan of beach mode I descided to mess around with it and did the following:

Turned off disc completely

Replaced disc 0-15 with notch.

Turned on notch audio to n2.

Turned isat to 3

Turned on tracking

Now Beach mode is much smoother and less abrubt and more inportantly now has iron audio which is important on parts of the areas I hunt as there is just tons of iron. This was a huge time saver as I now rarely dig any iron.

I had noticed that the machine needed to be ground balance quite a bit as the erosion left the mineralization uneven. With tracking now working I can go long stretches and if it gets a little choppy I check the GB. I have been able to keep gains between 85-95 without any issues.

Managed to squeek out this gilded button along with the usual sinkers and fist full of clad.

gilded button.JPG

• Like 1

I have been using Beach Mode lately on the Anfibio working Iron patches in moist ground, I think it has a lot of attributes. Have had good success with it,

• Like 2

Try replacing the 0-15 disc with 0-15 notch then set notch audio under iron audio. I think it helps to hear the iron to know what your running into.

Regular disc will also disc out the audio so any iron signals will be trimmed. This makes it tricky to identify some flat iron like oxen shoes, old iron washers and even old bottle caps.

I spent the last year going through the toughest spots I can and figuring out how to reasonably pick through them.

Wonder if there should be a hunting trash thread? Be good to hear different techniques.

• Like 2

Hunting in Trash thread is a good idea. One for Iron and one for Aluminum. I have been re reading some old posts gathered in my notebooks on the subject and got a few additional ideas to try.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 2:06 AM, kac said:

Did get a chance to use it in 4 tone over the fire pit areas at the beach and did squeak out a clad dime and penny so it does work well. Finding though at the beach I had to manually ground balance a lot on all my settings except beach mode.

Not being a huge fan of beach mode I descided to mess around with it and did the following:

Turned off disc completely

Replaced disc 0-15 with notch.

Turned on notch audio to n2.

Turned isat to 3

Turned on tracking

Now Beach mode is much smoother and less abrubt and more inportantly now has iron audio which is important on parts of the areas I hunt as there is just tons of iron. This was a huge time saver as I now rarely dig any iron.

I had noticed that the machine needed to be ground balance quite a bit as the erosion left the mineralization uneven. With tracking now working I can go long stretches and if it gets a little choppy I check the GB. I have been able to keep gains between 85-95 without any issues.

Managed to squeek out this gilded button along with the usual sinkers and fist full of clad.

gilded button.JPG

I know I'm messing with an old thread, but just for my curiosity because this caught my attention (thinking of investing in a M. Kruzer soon so is good to know in advance)

1) In Multi Kruzer, the more the Discrimination applied (for disc up to 15 if I remember right), the more the depth we lose because disc is a filter like in most machines. So, as I understand it, by turning Disc off completely, we have zero filtering so we have max depth, and we can still hear the background iron if we need to by setting the fe volume at a lower level. But, replacing 01-15 Discrimination with Notching 01-15, isn't it the same (depth lose wise)? Isn't Notch the same "filtering" as Disc? Notching doesn't affects depth same as disc does?

2) Alternative: If we turn off disc completely (Disc=0), and instead of notching, put the first Tone Break at vdi 15, so the first Fe zone is vdis 01 to 15....Then, we just adjust this 01-15 vdi zone in a lower volume via Fe-vol setting to still hear the iron in a lower volume and without affecting depth. Does Multi Kruzer allows us to do this, or fe Volume is only adjustable if we have some Disc or Notch applied?

Sorry if this sounds stupid but I can't figure it out...I thought that we can adjust 1st zone's volume with no need of disc or notch to do this...no?

• Like 2

I think the only time you actually lose depth with discrimination is when the target is on the fringe of detection and is no longer giving an accurate id and the id is now falling into the iron range. Does that make sense?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kac said:

I think the only time you actually lose depth with discrimination is when the target is on the fringe of detection and is no longer giving an accurate id and the id is now falling into the iron range. Does that make sense?

Yeap, makes perfect sense! 🙂 However, I just noticed in the Multi Kruzer's manual that...

"NOTE: DISC. setting works inversely proportional to depth up to level 15 in all modes. In other words, as the DISC. is increased up to 15, stability will increase but depth will be reduced and vice versa. Above 15 though, both depth and noise will increase."

...so I assumed that this was the reason to eliminate any disc in Kruzer....In many machines, Disc is indeed a filter and has a negative effect in depth ability (not because of lower vdis that fall into iron zone as you mention, but because of the disc filtering itself that reduces depth).

In any case, I'm used to run my machines at zero Discrimination & without notching anything, and then adjust my first tone's break point (iron zone) where I want it and simply lower the volume of this first zone to hear this first zone as low vol iron buzz in the background. Can Multi Kruzer do this (adjust the volume of the Fe zone - as set by the 1st tone break) without applying any disc or notches?

thanks

• Like 2

My Gold Kruzer can set disc at 0 and use tone break. It is noisier with disc at 0 in my house with the emi and if I raise disc to 22 most of noise is goes away. Lower it below 22 and it noisy. I find that strange.

• Like 2

Rick,when you set disc at 0 on your Gold Kruzer and without any notching, and then you set your first tone break for the iron zone, can you still lower the volume of this iron zone? That's what I'm trying to find out (for the Multi Kruzer)....