15 Inch Coil

Al F

I’ve been dithering on the 15 inch coil for my Noxy 600.... I mostly do beaches here in So Calif..... I’ve been doing ok with the 11 inch that came with, but am not sure if the 15 in her would be an advantage..... what are your thoughts? ? ?

• Like 1

It's an advantage only to increased dry or wet sand swing coverage.  You will not gain any appreciable depth as it is only 1" wider than the diameter of the 11" stock.  You might lose some sensitivity on micro targets, but I have still been impressed with its ability to pick up tiny targets.  Using it in the water just increases coil drag compared to the 11" so it is somewhat counterproductive.  I've used both the 15x12 and 6 inch round coils and except for vary rare detecting situations where the other two coils might be advantageous, find the 11" is the sweet spot.

• Like 9

Thanks for the comments.... this helps throw a brick on the DONT buy side....Al

• Like 2

Also you need to consider that the 15" is heavier than the stock 11" making the Equinox more nose heavy. The guys i see using the 15" coil all use a bungy cord because of the increase in weight.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

I love my 15" over here in the UK. I too find it's just the ground coverage it useful for and would say it's definitely heavier so have to use the proswing harness. I have found cut quarter hammered coins with it so can vouch that it doesn't miss much. When visiting Australia (my sister lives there) I only pack the 11" for the beaches.

I hunt the beach up on the north coast and use the 15" coil and like it. I use it in the summertime but switch back to the 11" coil in the winter. I find that the black sand is more concentrated in the winter and the machine can be overloaded with signals at times.

It is a great tool to have at your disposal at times. Once you use it for awhile you feel naked when you switch back to the 11". 

I do use a counter weight with the 15" because it is so nose heavy.

Tim

• Like 1

Personally, I'd have to have the 15" coil for any beach larger than a postage stamp. Some places you can swing a coil forever and feel like no ground covered, so that extra coverage per sweep is great. Especially when finds are few and far between. The weight does not bother me though a counterweighted rod does help a lot. And if there is a depth advantage - bonus!

• Like 2

I rarely take my 12 X 15" coil off! I think it gets another inch or so in depth over the 11", but, the added coverage is more than worth it even if the depth was the same. I still find tiny targets with it, so, I don't think I'm missing anything. Maybe if I was nugget hunting for tiny gold, but, even then, it might get you a deeper big nugget 👍. If I know I'm going to be hunting all day, I also use a sling. For 4-5 hour hunts, I don't have a problem with it at this point with my 67 year old arms.

• Like 2

I never used the 15'' coil but i used a 3 by 18"clean sweep   on my Bandito  on a 800 by 80 yard beach after  busy weekends and liked the coverage.It found me a 3/4 ounce 18 k   chain so it owes me nothing.That  coil is built like a  brick.I would like one for the Nox.A fresh   drop treasure  gulping coil  it would be.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your replies.... I’ve ordered the 15 inch coil last nite..... supposed to be here by the 15th.... will then take it out for a run..... thanks again all..... Al

• Like 3