15 Inch Coil

Al F

On 1/4/2021 at 8:29 AM, Tmox said:

you feel naked when you switch back to the 11". 

These are my words!  haha

My last couple of hunts I have used the 11 inch coil again.  It performs remarkably well.  I found some really deep targets with it but you have to be slow.  When I find a few targets and clues I grid.  My grid pattern is different with the 11 on my wet sand/tide sands than it is with the 15.  The pinpoint/target response is definitely smaller with the 11 vs the 15 thus the 'naked' feeling.

Some time back I thought the 15 to be a 'finicky' coil but that changed with the software upgrade.  I think the larger coil now takes a target and makes it sound like the 11.  I'm thinking I'm not getting a lot more depth on targets but that is more a function of my beaches than it is the coils.  There is moving sand and it and the wave energy makes for a slurry that gets thrown around with the waves above a cap/hard sand layer.  When I grid with the 15 part of the coil stays over the target longer so I swing a little more deliberate.  I don't use the cuff strap any more and don't find it to be too heavy.

I've seen some 800/600 users nearly trot down the beaches.  They stop and find things but that is just not my style.

You'll find a place for the 15 and it will pay for itself.

Mitchel

Thanks for the info... it's supposed to get here by the 15th.... impatiently wating.... Al

Yeah....there is a "passel" of detectorists here.... fortunately,  we haven't heard up on each other.... yet... Al

• 1 month later...

I’ve taken the 15 inch out several times now, but the beaches here have been WELL picked over.... been to several parks with it, but haven’t made up my mind about it.... will try it again later in the year when more ppl start going to the beaches..... 

• Like 1

Unlike the others, I find myself using it mostly in the wintertime after a storm, because the sand is nice and flat. In the summertime it's odd to keep the coil steady over all those humps.. (we have no tides over here, so I'm talking dry sand hunting). If we had tides, I would probably use it more often.

• Like 1

I’m still checking the 15 out... I’ve put it on my 800 .... I’ve noticed the added weight and become tired more quickly.... and the balance is off.... I’ll figure out something on the balance issue.... Al

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 1:39 PM, Al F said:

I’ve taken the 15 inch out several times now, but the beaches here have been WELL picked over.... been to several parks with it, but haven’t made up my mind about it.... will try it again later in the year when more ppl start going to the beaches..... 

Try recovery speed down to 3 (on the 800) it unlocks a whole new layer of targets under the ground.