Information On GMT Coils

Ron - Welcome to the forum.  Do you have the stock 6x10 on there now?  Whites makes an 8 x 14 coil, if you can get your hands on one, that will eek out some additional depth. But it can set you back about $175 to $250.  Also, with the GMT operating at 48 kHz, it is really not going to give you much high conductive coin depth (general purpose coin detectors usually run at 4 to 14 kHz).  The problem with high frequency is that it does not penetrate as far into the ground as lower frequency machines and a bigger coil will only marginally help depth at that frequency.  

You can get a lot of detector for $250 to $350 today.  I would recommend instead considering a general purpose detector such as the Nokta Simplex+ or Minelab Vanquish in the $300 ballpark if you want to do coin detecting rather than investing in a new, expensive coil for a gold machine that is only going to give you poor to mediocre depth on coin shooting.   The GMT is a great gold detector, one of the best in its hey day and can still get the job done on nuggets  But it is optimized for gold, micro jewelry, and meteorites, while coin shooting (unless you are talking gold coins) is not really in its wheel house. 

Right tool for the job.

HTH

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Information On GMT Coils

Although nowadays there are several coin detectors on the market with the ability to work efficiently at frequencies of 30 khz, 40 khz and more khz ... ,, so I think that Gmt working on 48 khz - without the possibility of identifying VDI and other other necessary the detector setting function would be a bit behind .. when detecting a coin -aj when using a larger coil ...

In Steve's GMT Review you will find what coils were made for GMT ...

• Like 2

I do coin shooting with my Gold Racer (56khz) but it has a vdi. As Chase said depth can be an issue but really depends on ground conditions. Mild ground is no problem, hunting parks for shallow coins and jewelry as I use mine for works great.

Copper alloys and silver coins run very high on the scale TID's in the high 80's - mid 90's. Aluminum will be all over the place and sometimes cross over the typical coin range.

Without a VDI, I would think it would be tough to hunt coins without playing off of tone break between iron and non iron. High trash areas I would imagine would be incredibly tough.

• Like 1

I guess my point was not so much whether the GMT should/could be used for coin shooting, of course it will snag some coins under ideal conditions.  But whether any further investment should be put into the GMT by buying a new coil to do so (Ron's question).  That is throwing good money after bad IMO.   The stock Twin D 6 x 10 should be fine for coin shooting with no money put of pocket, I don't really think another coil will do much better for the amount of money you would have to lay out.  If Ron is keen to spend money, however, it would be better spent on a general purpose detector and coil IMO.

• Like 3