Ok, This Is Bs, We Weren’t Detecting...but

Here’s a story I’m keen to tell - I put it here. Because I couldn’t figure out anywhere else to put it ...my bad...

Ok, this whole fireplace thing has apparently become a thing on our neighborhood FB page. I put this there as my last word a bit ago, but why should the rest of you lot escape the last words I have on the subject of use of the fireplace in my home...?

It was a long time ago. 

In the winter (camping season in Arabia) there was usually a strong inversion overnight. The cooler ground would cool the low air and the warm upper air would form a blanket over all. Every scent trapped near the ground.

At daybreak one Friday morning  a couple of dozen years ago, about 70 miles from the nearest paved road, we awoke in our campsite to the intense smell of new baked bread. We were miles from the nearest settlement. I climbed a nearby hill and looked “up breeze” (just a breath - there was no wind) and a good ways off there was a tiny village.

We broke camp after breakfast and drove about 8 miles to the village where we found the source. Friday morning - the Muslim sabbath - and a bakery had fired up their bread ovens before dawn. 

That scent of new-baked bread had made its way 8 miles or so to us - on the softest breath of the downwind drift of air.

I am very sensitive to smoke and smell emissions. I hope to avoid annoying or inconveniencing any my neighbors with the careful and lawful enjoyment of one of the important features of the house we paid good money for.

Just a desert campfire - captured and tamed in our living room - bliss.

895C1401-4B48-4FA2-A89E-3BD2F6DFA527.jpeg

• Like 6

I miss a good fireplace fire from my early days in north Florida.  There is a price for such bliss in the form of a chimney fire if you are not careful.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Enjoyed the story, amazing the scent travels 8 miles!

Something about a wood fire, seems to awaken something inside of me? Had the fireplace changed over to gas a few years ago, just not the same.

9 hours ago, mn90403 said:

There is a price for such bliss in the form of a chimney fire if you are not careful.

Mitchel

One of my first homes had a wood stove, loved it until we had a chimney fire. The pipe was triple wall and that baby was cherry red and sound like a jet engine. Luck had it the house never burnt down but lesson learned. Stop burning pine.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

Yes, the rarely used, but still important "chimney sweep", like in Marry Poppins! A few companies out there that still do it! Also a good idea to have a visual "camera" inspection of the mortar joints occasionally! Especially in old houses!

Fireplaces are not much used in S. Florida, but i do enjoy a good ole fire pit on those few "winter" nights we get! ☃️ 👍👍

• Like 1